EXCELiner Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rosem

Aug 27, 2019
Northern Michigan
I just had an EXCELiner installed. Overall it went really well. One thing that came up while I was outside was that they preassembled the liner into large sections (~8ft each). These were held together with the provided rivets. However, from the roof, they attached the three sections with stainless steel screws. Is that OK? It seems more prone to failure than rivets.

Perhaps their thinking is potential removal for service? You normally use screws on the caps, as they get removed and replaced frequently for chimney sweeping - it'd be difficult to drill out and remove and then replace rivets every time, they may have the same thoughts for removal of the upper , exposed sections of liner.

This would be the lower-middle and upper-middle sections though? I'm sure it's fine as it looks like they taped them too, but just wondering why they did that since I doubt they will be taking the liner out. Is it easier to put in screws from the roof than to put in rivets?

My guess is they were lazy and didn't want to drill and rivet on the roof.

Or they spaced out and forgot to pack sufficient rivets for the job. It happens.

Or they spaced out and forgot to pack sufficient rivets for the job. It happens.
The said they all came with the liner. Who knows. The new issue is they appeared to have screwed threw electrical wiring framing in the pass-through trim and I don't have power upstairs to my ceiling lights and fans. :/

• Wow
Reactions: begreen
Oh brother. Sorry to hear this. That is going to need an electrician to fix most likely. I hope these guys are insured.