EXCELiner Install Question

rosem

Aug 27, 2019
Northern Michigan
I just had an EXCELiner installed. Overall it went really well. One thing that came up while I was outside was that they preassembled the liner into large sections (~8ft each). These were held together with the provided rivets. However, from the roof, they attached the three sections with stainless steel screws. Is that OK? It seems more prone to failure than rivets.

Tech Guru

Burning Hunk
Jul 17, 2015
Ontario
Perhaps their thinking is potential removal for service? You normally use screws on the caps, as they get removed and replaced frequently for chimney sweeping - it'd be difficult to drill out and remove and then replace rivets every time, they may have the same thoughts for removal of the upper , exposed sections of liner.

rosem

Aug 27, 2019
Northern Michigan
This would be the lower-middle and upper-middle sections though? I'm sure it's fine as it looks like they taped them too, but just wondering why they did that since I doubt they will be taking the liner out. Is it easier to put in screws from the roof than to put in rivets?

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
My guess is they were lazy and didn't want to drill and rivet on the roof.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Or they spaced out and forgot to pack sufficient rivets for the job. It happens.

rosem

Aug 27, 2019
Northern Michigan
Or they spaced out and forgot to pack sufficient rivets for the job. It happens.
The said they all came with the liner. Who knows. The new issue is they appeared to have screwed threw electrical wiring framing in the pass-through trim and I don't have power upstairs to my ceiling lights and fans. :/

• Wow
Reactions: begreen

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Oh brother. Sorry to hear this. That is going to need an electrician to fix most likely. I hope these guys are insured.