Excessive Soot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackrabbit

Jan 24, 2013
Hiya,

The Husband and i recently purchased a King 5500M. i havent had any complaints at all about it, but Hubby noticed that the pipe venting outside has some soot around the end of it (the end thats outside). He asked a friend about that who told Him that we need to play around with the settings, but according to some folks, here, we have to override the factory's default settings.

Big surprise! The manual doesnt tell me diddely about that...

I apologize if this topic has been brought up before in this forum, I've looked but couldnt find a similar thread. Might someone be able to tell me how to do this like i'm 5 years old? I'm not very technical and ive got a headcold thats getting the best of me at the moment, lol. I know I have to mess around with the damper, but this stove is nothing like the old Breckwell.

Also, will overiding the default settings permanently screw things up for the stove? Its colder than a witch's you-know-what these days and i have a vested interest in keeping the homestead warm!

Thanks for reading,
Jackrabbit

Status
Not open for further replies.