Exhaust Fan Cooling Cup Questions - CAB50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lowb35

Mar 6, 2020
Allegany County, NY
Hi all, this is our first season with a new-to-us but definitely not brand new CAB50. It is several years old but still does does a brilliant job of heating our house. The stove is the primary heat for the first floor of our 2000 sq ft farmhouse, and our utility bills are significantly lower than they were last year when we limped through the winter with an even older stove that had *issues* (the previous homeowners didn't maintain it really well, and parts were hard to come by) and relied a bit too much on electric space heaters.

However, over the last couple weeks the exhaust fan has been getting progressively noisier, with intermittent high pitched noise. At first it was intermittent just at start up, but now it's more consistent. I did a full clean of the stove last weekend including the exhaust path, fan impellers and the back of the fan, making sure that there wasn't any gunk or dust bunnies back there on the axle or plastic cooling cup. The fan spins freely and my burn is still really good, but I suspect that the bearings are going bad. I wouldn't be surprised if the fan is the original fan - it doesn't look like it's ever been replaced.

I ordered a Pellethead replacement for the CAB50 which does not have the cooling cup: https://pellethead.com/product/pell...arth-combustion-blower-exhaust-fan-motor-kit/. My understanding is that the fans on newer CAB50 models don't have one. There is a bracket on the end of the axle of the replacement fan that looks like it can be removed to install a cooling cup, but I'm not sure if that's something that can be done or if it should be installed as it is. Do I need the cooling cup? Can it be installed, or should I return what I have for one that has a cooling cup already installed? BTW, the one on the current fan is in good shape and looks like it can be reinstalled on a new fan motor if needed.

I keep my stove and vent pipe as clean as possible - clean the burnpot and vacuum the ashbox daily, take out the baffles and do a deeper clean of the stove, exhaust path and fans (including taking off the back panels) every 2-3 weeks, and clean the entire vent after every ton. Took the outside cap off last weekend to inspect and brush out the outside venting, and ash is reasonable and I don't have soot or creosote build up. Plan on doing a full clean of the entire system when I install the fan. And yes, I have an OAK, even though my house is pretty loose. :)

If you keep the back of your stove clean you won’t have any issues. The cups are not being used on a lot of stoves anymore.

Reactions: lowb35
Thanks! I am a clean freak especially after inheriting a not so clean or well maintained stove when we first bought our house last year. The vent fire we had a year ago in our old stove when the exhaust fan began to fail and creosote in the venting caught fire (right after it had just been professionally cleaned bc I didn't want to use a stove that apparently hadn't been serviced in... years) certainly showed me that a clean stove is a happy stove, and a dirty stove is a dangerous one.

Reactions: johneh and Ssyko
You obviously are not a lubricate the bearing freak.... and the 'cooling cup' is an un needed part anyway.

Since failure #1 occurred the week after we closed on our house and 2 days after the stove was professionally serviced, well, ok, I guess it was my fault for not oiling the fan. ;hm

I do plan on keeping the old fan from my current stove as a backup, since it still works, and oiling the bearings. But since it also appears to be several years old I thought it better to just go ahead and replace it.