Existing Pre-fab - to be replaced with small wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pamK

Oct 4, 2008
SE PA
I have an '89 Martin Industries Pre-Fab FP existing in my family rm. Our house is a carriage unit (duplex, etc) of 2500 sq ft.
I would like to inquire on the replacement of this pre-fab to a wood insert. The unit existing measures 43X37 surround, 20x36" opening, inside 34"W, 24"back firebrick wall, and 14 1/2" depth.
I made a spreadsheet of mfr carried by local retail shops based on the smallest unit, ie. Harman Exception, Jotul C350, Lopi Answer, Regency I1200, listing all specifications. Use of unit will be some evenings and maybe weekends. Room faces directly north and obtains no sun in winter.
Am I correct in shopping for a unit based on the 14-16" depth noted for small inserts?
Some mfr note its fine for zero clearance, are most small wood inserts built for zero clearance?
I really like the idea of these recycled wood waste bricks coming out on the market (we live in a HOA) and looking at www.usrecycledwoodproducts.com. We don't have the luxury of building huge wood piles, nor have a sunny place to put them (our patio faces nw and is in shade).
Other issues are what previous owner did was use the chimney (just 8' flue tube running to roof in a wood built surround) to run all the cable lines, plus installed a outlet (in 2nd fl bdrm) against the chimney wall. Is there any problems leaving the cables (I believe there are 3 lines from basement to attic) in the chimney? Was wondering if the new 6' insulated tube will be okay?
If anyone has description of what's behind the pre-fab fp box or other preparations we should expect to do to make sure its well insulated please advise.

PyroStove said:
I have an '89 Martin Industries Pre-Fab FP existing in my family rm. Our house is a carriage unit (duplex, etc) of 2500 sq ft.
I would like to inquire on the replacement of this pre-fab to a wood insert. The unit existing measures 43X37 surround, 20x36" opening, inside 34"W, 24"back firebrick wall, and 14 1/2" depth.
This is an insert in the zc fireplace, not a replacement which would mean that the zc unit is being removed.

I made a spreadsheet of mfr carried by local retail shops based on the smallest unit, ie. Harman Exception, Jotul C350, Lopi Answer, Regency I1200, listing all specifications. Use of unit will be some evenings and maybe weekends. Room faces directly north and obtains no sun in winter.
Am I correct in shopping for a unit based on the 14-16" depth noted for small inserts?
If there is only 14.5" depth, that is a constraint. An alternative would be to completely remove the unit and replacing it with a freestanding stove. This would present more work, but a wider choice of options including a larger stove.

Some mfr note its fine for zero clearance, are most small wood inserts built for zero clearance?
Only approved inserts may be used that have been tested for this application.

I really like the idea of these recycled wood waste bricks coming out on the market (we live in a HOA) and looking at www.usrecycledwoodproducts.com. We don't have the luxury of building huge wood piles, nor have a sunny place to put them (our patio faces nw and is in shade).
Do a search on BioBricks (another compressed wood brick brand) for lots of info on burning them. With proper use, they can be a good reliable source of heat.

Other issues are what previous owner did was use the chimney (just 8' flue tube running to roof in a wood built surround) to run all the cable lines, plus installed a outlet (in 2nd fl bdrm) against the chimney wall. Is there any problems leaving the cables (I believe there are 3 lines from basement to attic) in the chimney? Was wondering if the new 6' insulated tube will be okay?
Definitely not ok. Sounds like multiple code violations here. The wiring needs to be removed regardless.

Greetings. I've tried to answer your questions in context. There are also several threads about ZC fireplace inserts, installation, and removal. Some have pictures of the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.