Experience using Fiskars x27 on Pine??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent

Oct 5, 2011
Waupaca, Wi
I'm currently using a hand-me-down 6lb maul, and it works alright.
I love the reviews of the x27, and have used their hatchets to fabulous effect before, HOWEVER...
95% of the positive review come from people using it on hardwoods. I however am stuck with aspen as my only available hardwood (and is only occasional) and ponderosa pine as my go to wood.

I've used my regular (non-fiskars) hatchet in emergencies, and it has a tendency to simply bury itself 4" deep in the pine with minimal splitting action. I'm worried that wood which isn't as rigid and stiff as most hardwoods won't respond well to the Fiskars.
So anyone have much for pine splitting experience with the x27? Especially those who've used it on soft or knotty pine???
Thanks for the help!

Well I've split about 5 cord of lodge pole pine with mine. I think you'll be very happy with the x27. I had some pine from a tree service, not sure what it was but it had branches all the way up the trunk. The rounds that I split were about 28in across and it wouldn't split them threw the center but would take splits of the sides. In this case this was the only way we could load them, they were heavy. But with anything that's bigger I find that you sometimes have to choose where you hit it. I too thought that I was limited to pine and quaking aspen but the best thing I did was called a few tree service co's and walla!! Ive got hardwood now, locust, ash, elm. Pat

I used mine to cut about a cord-cord and a half of pine this past winter. Went through 95% of them like a burning hot knife through butter. There were branches all the way up the trunk like the poster above. about half was green, half was dry. I just ended up using the weight of the axe to split the dry stuff, if I put some muscle behind the swing the splits would fly far far away. There were quite a few green knotty pieces, sometimes they took a couple of swings. But I would just go around the edge and take off smaller splits to bust them apart. All trees were about 12-18" diameter. I'd do one wack down the middle, then split those in two pieces for the straight ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.