Will Woodstock Fireview Be Big Enough For My Build?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mganga

Nov 10, 2015
Colorado Springs
Disclaimer: Just joined. This is my first woodstove forum membership. I read the "read this before" section as well as the links. I have read more forums than I care to disclose. I have never had a woodburning anything in my house before. I am super excited to burn some wood though.

I would like your advice on whether the Woodstock Fireview will serve my needs well enough (other options I am considering are the Progress Hybrid and the Ideal Steel - unless someone can convince me otherwise).

Background: New construction (underway now) at 7300 feet elevation in the Black Forest. Tight build with spray foam insulation walls and premium windows. 8000 sf (about 2650 sf per floor). Main heat source will be radiant floor heat on all levels with large, efficient gas boiler. I have five acres of pines. I have cut, bucked, split and stacked about 4 cords to be used starting fall of 2016 (had to fell some trees for homesite). Pine and aspen are likely to be my only wood source unless I pay premium for hardwood.

Installation: Main (2nd) floor of a 3 story walk out. Placement will be along an interior wall in the 400 sf great room with 20 foot cathedral ceiling opening to a top floor walkway with banister connecting to kids bedrooms upstairs. There will be an interior chase with a height of 35 feet from great room floor to top of flue vent. The great room opens completely to a 550 sf kitchen off one side and a 250 sf dining room on an adjacent side with 10 foot ceilings throughout main level. So basically it is a 1200 sf L-shaped room with the corner great room opening up to next floor. Large wall of windows in great room face windward north. Between the great room and the dining room are two 6 foot wide exits, one to master suite and one to entry/stairway/hallway beyond.

I called Woodstock and the very kind lady recommended the Fireview with an outside air kit and a flue damper since there is likely to be a good draw given the height and interior location of stack. She thought the two larger stoves would roast me out if burned at an efficient temperature for the cat.

I honestly do not know how much I will burn. I would like to think it will be consistent through winter, but we will have fairly economical, even, radiant heat anyway. I think the stove will be a nice supplement to reduce our energy bill some, as well as enhance the esthetics of the home (I have fond memories of my grandparents wood stove growing up). Additionally, believe it or not, we have frequent spells of very mild weather through the winter here in Colorado Springs. I know I will not be heating an 8000 sf house with a single stove on a middle floor either. This is meant as an emergency heat source and a nice supplemental heat source otherwise. Seeing the fire is important to me as well, but it looks like I would enjoy any of the three in this regard.

What do you think of the recommendation made by Woodstock? Is the Fireview going to be big enough? Are the other two stoves too big for my needs? I like all three stove very much and have potential concerns with each design. My interactions with Woodstock have given me great confidence that I have chosen a first-rate company. I have no experience, however, and therefore would very much appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks in advance.
Christopher

You are correct, Woodstock is a first rate company. I can't say enough good about their stoves and customer service.
I started out with a Fireview in a 2 story 2200 sq ft house not built very tightly.It gets down below zero F a few nights and sometimes does not go above freezing for weeks on end. The FV was not quite up to the task. I ended up replacing it with the Progress and was happier.Then we added the Palladian a couple years later to the opposite side of house as the Progress and it's the perfect combo.

Bottom Line - it really depends on the layout of your house, how well insulated, and how cold it really gets. We heat with 100% wood and I cringe if the oil kicks on, even at $2.00/Gal. You are in a different boat so it's possible the FV is enough. Remember, woodstoves are space heaters and no single stove could evenly heat 8,000 sq ft properly. The Progress does crank out high heat so it may be overkill for most of the time for you. The nice lady at WS is probably right for most of your needs, but don't expect to heat the full 8,000 comfy in major sub freezing temps.

Your 35 foot flue is really tall, I think you will need that damper!

I would go with the Progress personally. That's just me. Will there be any sound proofing insulation in the ceiling of that floor?​

One of your floors is 1,000 sq ft larger than my entire house...

So, I really have no relevant advice other than that you'll never regret getting the next level up - whether that be quality or size. I have a stove rated for a 2400 sq ft space but it's heating a poorly insulated old farmhouse that's cut up in layout. I absolutely wish I'd gone the next step up if only to give myself flexibility and longer burn times.

You can always build smaller fires but you can't add wood on top of your stove after the fact...

Thank you each for your input!

So the damper is a must. Thanks fire_man.

How about OAK? Are they always needed in tightly sealed homes?

ADK_XJ - I have heard that pine can create a lot of creosote. If I go with a larger stove and burn at lower temps, will this be more of an issue?

JA600L - Why do you recommend the Progress? I ask because it looks like you own the IS. Is there a certain aspect of my build that would be better suited to the Progress over the IS?

I am a little lost on the sound insulation question. Newbie for sure. Is it because the sound insulation will limit heat rise, or because the fireplace is loud, or neither? Sorry if this is an unintelligent question. To answer the question, there will be sound board (super dense sound absorptive drywall) on the ceiling of the kitchen only - it is quite expensive so we limited its use to the loudest area. There will also be reflective material and insulation in the ceiling to trap the radiant heat and send it up.

I am not a forum expert, so if responding to multiple replies like this is not the norm, please let me know and I will reply separately next time.

Thanks!
Christopher

One thing you'll need realize is that while heavy, changing out stoves is a pretty simple and quick matter. So, take your best guess at the ideal stove for your wants and needs, but don't fret too much over it. If you build your hearth or pad to hold a range of stoves, then realizing your first choice in stoves was a little off is not a very big deal. You'll lose under $1k after re-selling your old stove, and a day off work for delivery, hardly huge penalty for one who can afford that house.

Four years in, I'm on stoves number four and five, although there were multiples of two stove models. I can swap out a stove in a few hours, including unloading and loading the delivery vehicles.

One thing you'll need realize is that while heavy, changing out stoves is a pretty simple and quick matter. So, take your best guess at the ideal stove for your wants and needs, but don't fret too much over it. If you build your hearth or pad to hold a range of stoves, then realizing your first choice in stoves was a little off is not a very big deal. You'll lose under $1k after re-selling your old stove, and a day off work for delivery, hardly huge penalty for one who can afford that house.

Four years in, I'm on stoves number four and five, although there were multiples of two stove models. I can swap out a stove in a few hours, including unloading and loading the delivery vehicles.

Sage advise. I'm designing a raised hearth and will make sure it is large enough for any of the three with clearances. Thanks for the input. I too often try to plan for 20 years from now, which is rather silly. Variety is the spice after all.

I would go with either the PH or the IS. The difference between the two is really bot that great, they are very similar ither than in appearance. The choice between those two should be based on budget and appearance only.

The PH can put out alot more heat than the FV when needed, but when run on low is comparable.

You can always build a smaller fire in a larger stove. Unless you run the PH full tilt i doubt it would roast you out. I amheating 3000+ (2100sf with really high ceilings)some odd sf with my PH without issue(run on low to med).

A fireview would heat that area adequately, but a PH will give you the capability of more heat output if desired. A PH will also impact the heating bill costs much more so than the FV.

You will want an oak with a very tightly sealed house.

Pine etc is perfectly fine as long as its seasoned. Its a myth about the creosote associated with it.

I don't think there will be too much reason to worry about overheating the area, especially with 20 ft ceilings doubling the cu ftg of the room. My guess is there is a lot of glass exposure in this space too. If so I would lean toward a larger stove and would consider the Blaze King Ashford 30 as an alternative if concerned about having more temperature control. Whatever the choice, ceiling fans will be a necessity to stop heat from stratifying up high.

My comment about the Progress was because it is a pure soapstone stove vs the Ideal Steel which is steel with soapstone accents. The soapstone would give you a gentle heat and work better off of smaller fires. Steel stoves are more aggressive in heat output but tend to lose heat quicker when the fire dies.

The Ideal Steel is a great stove. If your on a budget it is a lot of bang for your buck. However, if money wasn't a problem I'd have the Progress. Performance is similar overall I just think all soapstone is cool.

I think the stove will be a nice supplement to reduce our energy bill some, as well as enhance the esthetics of the home (I have fond memories of my grandparents wood stove growing up).

I honestly do not know how much I will burn.

Seems to me you want to recreate a good memory from your childhood, perhaps one your children would then share. My advice is to pick the stove that looks the best in your new home. You have the 6 month return option if you need it.

I would go with either the PH or the IS. The difference between the two is really bot that great, they are very similar ither than in appearance. The choice between those two should be based on budget and appearance only.

The PH can put out alot more heat than the FV when needed, but when run on low is comparable.

You can always build a smaller fire in a larger stove. Unless you run the PH full tilt i doubt it would roast you out. I amheating 3000+ (2100sf with really high ceilings)some odd sf with my PH without issue(run on low to med).

A fireview would heat that area adequately, but a PH will give you the capability of more heat output if desired. A PH will also impact the heating bill costs much more so than the FV.

You will want an oak with a very tightly sealed house.

Pine etc is perfectly fine as long as its seasoned. Its a myth about the creosote associated with it.
I have read some reports that an OAK can vent backwards under certain conditions and possibly send hot ash/coals down the OAK, such as with a strong wind crossing the OAK exterior outlet. Is there any truth to this? My OAK will need to vent to the windy north wall of the house, so I am wondering if there are any ways to prevent this. Should the pipe be made of metal instead of flexible drier line? Is a proximity vent adequate, or should it be a direct air connection to the stove? Thanks.

I don't think there will be too much reason to worry about overheating the area, especially with 20 ft ceilings doubling the cu ftg of the room. My guess is there is a lot of glass exposure in this space too. If so I would lean toward a larger stove and would consider the Blaze King Ashford 30 as an alternative if concerned about having more temperature control. Whatever the choice, ceiling fans will be a necessity to stop heat from stratifying up high.
I am going to have a large ceiling fan in the room. Does the Ashford offer different airflow control? I do like the appearance of the enameled Ashford, but could only find a Sirocco to look at in person and thought it was a little too industrial for my tastes.

It appears the Progress Hybrid is the most recommended stove thus far. I really like the appearance of the stove. There have been numerous reports of smoke coming from the right rear of the unit. Most are from a few years ago and seem to possibly be related to draft or other conditions. I know my wife would not be please if that occurred regularly. Any thoughts on if that would likely be an issue for me?

Thanks again. I appreciate all of the advise and knowledge sharing!
Christopher

IThere have been numerous reports of smoke coming from the right rear of the unit. Most are from a few years ago and seem to possibly be related to draft or other conditions. I know my wife would not be please if that occurred regularly. Any thoughts on if that would likely be an issue for me?
/QUOTE]

I spoke with the stove builders last weekend while at the Pig Roast and the new stoves have a different door frame gasket to cure any issues.

Great. Thanks for the info. Did they mention anything about a new stove. I have read little bits here and there about a "franklin". Do you anything of this stove?

Thanks,
Christopher

I have read some reports that an OAK can vent backwards under certain conditions and possibly send hot ash/coals down the OAK, such as with a strong wind crossing the OAK exterior outlet. Is there any truth to this? My OAK will need to vent to the windy north wall of the house, so I am wondering if there are any ways to prevent this. Should the pipe be made of metal instead of flexible drier line? Is a proximity vent adequate, or should it be a direct air connection to the stove? Thanks.
I am sure anything is possible..., but it is not probable. It should be a direct connection to the stove. There are plenty of ways to shield the outside intake vent from wind, there are many specially designed covers for this purpose.

It appears the Progress Hybrid is the most recommended stove thus far. I really like the appearance of the stove. There have been numerous reports of smoke coming from the right rear of the unit. Most are from a few years ago and seem to possibly be related to draft or other conditions. I know my wife would not be please if that occurred regularly. Any thoughts on if that would likely be an issue for me?
I also read this when I was purchasing my PH. I have not had that issue, nor have I heard anyone mention it recently. I believe they resolved that issue, but I don't remember 100%. And if I recall , to smell it you literally had to put your nose down right next to the stove. IMO it was a little nitpicky, but Woodstock fixed it I am pretty sure.
Great. Thanks for the info. Did they mention anything about a new stove. I have read little bits here and there about a "franklin". Do you anything of this stove?
ei

The franklin is their new stove currently still in design I believe. I havn't done much research into it, but it is looking to be a tad smaller. And it has a very unique look and is going to be a pretty revamped and tweaked design. I would stick with the Progress or the Ideal Steel unless you just really like the Franklin, and want to wait for it.

I am going to have a large ceiling fan in the room. Does the Ashford offer different airflow control? I do like the appearance of the enameled Ashford, but could only find a Sirocco to look at in person and thought it was a little too industrial for my tastes.
The Ashford like the Fireview is a pure catalytic stove and not a hybrid. It offers thermostatic regulation that allows it to run at a lower continuous temperature than many stoves. It's available in a 3cu ft model which will provide a bit more reserve firepower for very cold days. When it's -10 and blowing fifty outside then the difference between technologies becomes more moot.

The Ashford like the Fireview is a pure catalytic stove and not a hybrid. It offers thermostatic regulation that allows it to run at a lower continuous temperature than many stoves. It's available in a 3cu ft model which will provide a bit more reserve firepower for very cold days. When it's -10 and blowing fifty outside then the difference between technologies becomes more moot.
Thanks for the explanation. I am going to research the Ashford a bit more.
Christopher

You say 8000 sq ft. How big is that great room / kitchen / dining room. I'd get 4 stoves and start planting more trees. Seriously, that's a lot of house, but the stove will be real nice in the great room.

You don't like an "industrial" look (IS a plate-steel stove although you can dress it up some,) you want a nice view of the fire (Fireview doesn't have a big window,) so you are down to the Ashford 30 and the PH. I love the looks of enamaled stoves. The Ashford has a thermostat which should give it a more even burn from start to finish, and a welded steel box so no possible seam leaks. But also love the look of soapstone (I've got one.) Those beveled corners on the PH are sweet (I liked that about the Fireview I had.) The PH also has a grated ash-handling system. Just swirl a poker through the ashes before reloading, and they fall into the pan but all the coals stay in the stove. Then remove the pan (maybe once a week on the PH?) and dump outside in the ash bucket. I'm spoiled now, and can't go back. >> But then again, there are hundreds of other stoves out there that all have their own pluses and minuses. No one said picking one would be easy...good luck! ==c But if you want cat or hybrid, that reduces your choices considerably...

Progress hybrid = radiant heater

Ashford 30 = convective + radiant heater

In my house, a radiant heater does not work, but our houses are quite different. The Ashford has a wider range of burn rates, but they're both very good stoves. Figure out which looks best to you, and if the wider burn range or convective factor matter to you, and you'll have your selection.

I would say go with the stove that looks better.

Status
Not open for further replies.