Experience with Briggs Vanguard engines?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My point was that the Honda had a ton of hours on it with no adjustments. It deserved to die after the abuse it went thru. Poor thing didn't owe anybody anything.
Good point. But then you gotta wonder how much longer it might've kept going, if it received the full maintenance schedule through it's life. :p

my place is tough on mowers, 3 or 4 acres, pretty wet, grows like crazy. mow a few inches every week. that's why the briggs I had to work on constantly, the new kohler I had 4 or 5 years, never had one issue. neighbor has a troy built same twin kohler engine, only thing is a starter contactor for 10 bucks

I have a twin Briggs (22hp I think) in my JD LA135 which we have had for I think around 7 years now. I have pretty well neglected it over its life, but have changed the oil & filter in it a couple times. Otherwise it is jump on & go. Between ours & parents house next door it takes me a full 2 hours at full speed to mow over some pretty hilly terrain. I usually let it go a couple weeks between mowing. So between all the hills & thick grass in spots (thin in others) it really gets a workout - I usually just turn the earmuff radio set on, hit the throttle wide open & go. Knock on wood so far so good.