Experience with Quadrafire Fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DJDebes

Jan 7, 2018
Michigan
Hi All,

I wanted to see if anyone had experience, good or bad, with Quadrafire fireplaces. We are looking at either a Pioneer II or 7100 fireplace for a new construction. (My wife is not sure if she will like the single door on the Pioneer) It will be going in medium sized room and house, but will not be the primary heat. Our place is in upper Michigan so can get very cold. Thanks for any input or suggestions.

I'm not sure about the Pioneer but we installed a Quadrafire 7100 in our new construction last year and it heats our entire 2100 sq. ft. house. Seriously, we're in Upstate NY and the outside temp yesterday was -5 and it heated the house to 75 degrees. It actually got too hot.

Reactions: dBrad
I have a Northstar ZC - the smaller version of the QF7100 - and love it. Great looks and lots of heat production. From reading a lot of posts - people seem to be very happy with their 7100's.

I hope this helps.
Matt

Hi All,

I wanted to see if anyone had experience, good or bad, with Quadrafire fireplaces. We are looking at either a Pioneer II or 7100 fireplace for a new construction. (My wife is not sure if she will like the single door on the Pioneer) It will be going in medium sized room and house, but will not be the primary heat. Our place is in upper Michigan so can get very cold. Thanks for any input or suggestions.

I have a Quadra fire 7100fp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a ZC North Star, same basic unit as a QF7100. I've never had to replace the firebrick. One is cracked from the last time I removed it to access the fans, but still usable with no gaps.
The only real issue I've had is the stupid bearings they use in the fans. Replaced a few sets under warranty but all but the last one failed within a year. (I do use my burner pretty much 24/7 in the winter months, it's not for ambiance!) I've replaced the bearings on the fan units with quality ones and it's been a few years without issue. Actually, IIRC the last set of full fans was replaced under warranty and they were a completely different manufacturer, slightly different setup and those have also not been replaced, so they may have put better bearings in them from the factory now. (That may be confusing....There's two sets of fans in there, one was the last set I replaced under warranty and those are good, the other failed for the 2nd or third time and it's out of warranty now, I rebuilt those with new bearings and those are working great too years later!)
It's been since 2008 or so, I think my gasket is starting to leak a little, so I may replace the door gasket with a new one soon. I really wouldn't call that an issue. It's been a great unit, really no complaints!