Experiences with Rais and Scan stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SuperHans

Nov 14, 2017
Virginia
Hello -

Wood stove newbie here - I've learned a lot from reading this forum, but before I make such a big financial commitment and purchase a new stove, I want to submit my thought processes to the wisdom of the court.

I'm placing a wood stove in an existing fireplace, which will heat a +/- 450-sf living room currently under renovation. I am particularly attracted to both the Rais Q-Tee 2 and the Scan 1010, both of which would fit within the existing hearth and seem both attractive and efficient secondary heaters (house has a heat pump as a primary heating source). I have a recently inspected, tall chimney, so the space would seem to be ideal for wood heat.

My questions are thus: I'm going to attempt to install the stove myself, and within my state, code specifies a fresh-air intake for any "factory-built fireplace," but everything I've read suggests that this would be a negligible benefit, and my house isn't particularly air-tight - built in 1954. Any strong opinions on installing an fresh-air intake? Would I be compromising the effectiveness of my stove or, worse, my safety by forgoing one?

From what I can tell, both stoves enjoy strong reputations, but there aren't many reviews of either posted, and I would appreciate forum input on long-term quality and customer satisfaction. More specifically, Rais stoves seem to have a definitive presence in the US market, but I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to obtain parts and expertise support from Scan. I've sent a few emails to the general Jotul inbox, but nothing has been returned thus far - and I don't want to buy a stove which doesn't have much company backing. Anyone have a Scan and been able to obtain parts and service without too much trouble?

Sorry for the overlong first post, but I appreciate in advance any help you can provide. Without the forum's help, I certainly wouldn't have had the confidence to buy and install - would probably still be stuck with a garbage heat pump.

If you install your stove in a not particularly airtight 1954-built home WITHOUT an OAK, you will not believe just how drafty your home is.
Any stove requires combustion air & if it can't get it from OUTSIDE your home's envelope, it will get it from INSIDE & that combustion air
will be replaced by atmospheric pressure. That pressure will force COLD outside air into your home, & you WILL feel that cold air moving around your feet. Go with the OAK or at least make plans to add one later on.