Expert advice on wood burning insert needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jobert

Sep 30, 2020
Maryland
Project- replacing old Buck stove/insert with modern flush medium insert in existing open-sided fireplace. Square footage 1800 sq ft(adjusted for high celings); chimney ht-19-20' from floor. Climate--midAtlantic-U.S.
Main limitation is 22.5 inch opening and desire to keep face place to 24" for aesthetic reason.

Options-Supreme Fusion 18
pro- nice window
con -smaller fire box

Lopi Medium Flush Fire
Pro-big glass window, good sized fire box especially for longer logs
Con- expensive-approx. $1,500 more than the other options

Regency 2700 -not an option-won't fit, & required surround too high

Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 insert
pros- deeper firebox
cons -mixed reviews

The Lopi and PE would be through retailers and their subbed installers.

What do you guys think/suggest?

fireplacePXL_20220525_145629139.jpg

You don’t have to install the surround. I might inquire what the inserts look like without the surround.

Very unique! I like it.

I would suggest an insulated liner. What size is the flue?

Lopi and PE both have decent reputations.

5CF3B8A4-1A69-4B48-9191-5EB5A8D9C072.jpeg

Most surrounds can also just be cut down as well

Not a great place for your TV as heat destroys electronics. Just saying.

Reactions: EbS-P
The flue is approx . 9"x 14". Thanks for the insulated liner suggestion.
You have the space there is no reason not to do it. Will you be installing yourself?

I also enjoy the no surround look I just wish the chimney connector pipe was black. It's kind of an eyesore being metallic colored. Wife said she would keep ot this way if the pipe were black. I thought about painting it but I'm not sure how well that would hold up.

20220420_104021.jpg

I also enjoy the no surround look I just wish the chimney connector pipe was black. It's kind of an eyesore being metallic colored. Wife said she would keep ot this way if the pipe were black. I thought about painting it but I'm not sure how well that would hold up.

View attachment 295846
Don't see much big galoute slobber on there.

Ahh yes that's because I have it covered up 24/7 for dog protection. I took the towel off for the pic lol.

What do you guys think about spray painting the liner pipe with the same stove spray paint I use on the stove?

16537788717562317463095401498998.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 295846
Just get a piece of 8" snap together pipe cut it to length and put it around that 6"

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Looks like the flue connection would be cleaner and better seated with a 15º elbow.

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 4.53.43 PM.png

Just get a piece of 8" snap together pipe cut it to length and put it around that 6"
I’ve got my piece of 8” but haven’t put it up yet. I need to drill it for the damper and maybe extend the damper rod.

Good idea. I might have to cut a but of the top/back away so it'll sit flush but that's easy. You wouldn't see it anyways. It could just rest on the jacket, right? I don't see any issues with that.

Looks like the flue connection would be cleaner and better seated with a 15º elbow.

View attachment 295848
Probably. If I ever have any reason to disconnect I'll swap it out. When the stove was installed I was true stove greenhorn so I just went along with what the installers and inspectors said. I had it looked at recently by my sweep when he did my end of year and it was solid so I'm going to leave it be for now.

Good idea. I might have to cut a but of the top/back away so it'll sit flush but that's easy. You wouldn't see it anyways. It could just rest on the jacket, right? I don't see any issues with that.

Probably. If I ever have any reason to disconnect I'll swap it out. When the stove was installed I was true stove greenhorn so I just went along with what the installers and inspectors said. I had it looked at recently by my sweep when he did my end of year and it was solid so I'm going to leave it be for now.
I'm in exactly the same boat. One day I'll put the black pipe around the adapter and replace my straight adapter with the 15° joint. I didn't even know they were available when I installed the insert.

I had the Neo 2.5 - running it without the surround would not be an option to me - they are extremely ugly without the fascia. There is a barrel fan either side of the firebox, wires poking out, and galvanised sheet metal shields etc.
With the fascia it's a nice looking stove.
We had to get the fascia narrowed slightly for our setup.

It had difficulty heating our 1800sqf house due to the design. Although we have 8ft ceilings, there was a long, skinny hallway to all the bedrooms. The stove room was almost 900sqf (kitchen, lounge, dining) which was kept toasty warm.

The stove also had some issues which are well known at this point.

I sold it and it was ripped out yesterday. I now have a freestanding stove half installed in anticipation for this coming winter.

Reactions: fussen