Extending masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tithis

Jul 30, 2020
Western Mass
We recently had a 2nd level inspection for the chimneys and flues on the house we just moved into. A rear chimney services a little Jotul 602 CB installed in a hearth that we'd like to upgrade, as well as an exterior fireplace. Chimney is 26x47, stove is on a 13x13 flue with an uninsulated liner, and exterior fireplace is on a 6x12 flu.

Inspection came back with a few deficiencies with the chimney itself (ss liner will need to be replaced for separate reasons)

1. First course of bricks has some large cracks and loose bricks
2. Crown wash is crumbling apart in some spots and doesn't extended to the edges of the chimney.
3. Chimney is a foot too short for current codes.

For #2 they suggested a metal chase cover, and for #3 they suggested a class A chimney extension. Cost of the chase cover $750 and $560 for the chimney extension.

We had another company come out to give us a quote for some minor work on the homes central chimney (multi-flue cap and water sealant) and the difference in both quote cost and assessment of the chimneys has given me pause about the suggested repairs for the rear one.

Since the current crown wash and first course of bricks will likely have to be removed and redone anyways my fiancé and I were wondering if it might be better to just see we might be better off just getting the mason to extend the chimney a foot. We figure it will certainly look better, would bring the outdoor fireplace closer to code, would allow a single multi-flue rain cap, and might ultimately be a bit cheaper.

Anyone have to do something similar for their house? Do you think just laying more brick would be cheaper assuming the chimneys foundation can handle the weight?

We recently had a 2nd level inspection for the chimneys and flues on the house we just moved into. A rear chimney services a little Jotul 602 CB installed in a hearth that we'd like to upgrade, as well as an exterior fireplace. Chimney is 26x47, stove is on a 13x13 flue with an uninsulated liner, and exterior fireplace is on a 6x12 flu.

Inspection came back with a few deficiencies with the chimney itself (ss liner will need to be replaced for separate reasons)

1. First course of bricks has some large cracks and loose bricks
2. Crown wash is crumbling apart in some spots and doesn't extended to the edges of the chimney.
3. Chimney is a foot too short for current codes.

For #2 they suggested a metal chase cover, and for #3 they suggested a class A chimney extension. Cost of the chase cover $750 and $560 for the chimney extension.

We had another company come out to give us a quote for some minor work on the homes central chimney (multi-flue cap and water sealant) and the difference in both quote cost and assessment of the chimneys has given me pause about the suggested repairs for the rear one.

Since the current crown wash and first course of bricks will likely have to be removed and redone anyways my fiancé and I were wondering if it might be better to just see we might be better off just getting the mason to extend the chimney a foot. We figure it will certainly look better, would bring the outdoor fireplace closer to code, would allow a single multi-flue rain cap, and might ultimately be a bit cheaper.

Anyone have to do something similar for their house? Do you think just laying more brick would be cheaper assuming the chimneys foundation can handle the weight?
Extending with masonry properly may end up costing a bit more but pretty comparable. But I think it is the best solution

I bought a house built in 1906 that has two chimneys which originally served two fireplaces each. The bricks were severely spalled (water had frozen inside the brick and flaked off parts of the surface). A lot of mortar had cracked and fallen out. I had a mason come and inspect them.
They ended up taking the chimneys down about six feet each and building them up with new brick (they originally extended 8 feet above the upper slope). He extended the height by 4 feet on each chimney to be above the roof peak.. He also applied stucco on the exposed outside of each chimney since the new bricks would never match the old 1906 bricks and to keep moisture out of the brick and mortar. . They sealed off one chimney since I was not going to use it and helped me install a insulated liner in the other one. I used a SS chimney cap on top of the crown.
I have a 8/12 metal roof with the chimneys coming through the roof halfway down the slope so making a working platform was actually the hardest part for the masons.
They also rebuilt the hearth I was going to use for the stove.
It cost $4200 (excluding the liner and SS cap) (this was in rural Georgia in 2016).

For all they seem to have done that doesn't look all that bad.

Thankfully despite the home being 250 years old the masonry isn't! My wife did some research and found some articles about the house that mentions restoration work being done on it in the late 70s, including completely redoing the fireplaces and chimneys.

For all they seem to have done that doesn't look all that bad.

Thankfully despite the home being 250 years old the masonry isn't! My wife did some research and found some articles about the house that mentions restoration work being done on it in the late 70s, including completely redoing the fireplaces and chimneys.

Would you think about doing it yourself? Your wife could mix the mortar and call 911 if necessary. :- )
Best thing is to find someone who builds houses with chimneys and see who they recommend.

Many chimney sweeps also do masonry repair and rebuilds. Most of the masons in our area don't want to mess with small jobs like that