Extending Support Box?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TeamMo8

Oct 12, 2022
Central PA
Hello everyone! I had a chimney installed down into my basement when my house when it was built, but we put in a drop ceiling. I am curious if I can extend this down past the drop ceiling or if i should use cement board and box out that area. It would be about 11 inches below the bottom of the support box. Thanks for your suggestions,

SupportBox.jpg

Stovepipe can not pass through the ceiling, so a frame would need to be made to lower it at the new ceiling height and then new pipe added up top to compensate. If the area is boxed out, be sure that double-wall stovepipe is used to connect the stove. It has 6" clearance to combustibles.