Extension cord for emergencies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frankie

Jun 12, 2012
Stroudsburg Pa.
First time pellet burner here. In the event of a power failure is it ok to use an extension cord or is there a risk of damaging the motor or anything in the stove using a cord? I would only need a 6 foot cord as that particular outlet I would use is hooked up to the transfer switch.which would be powered by a generator.

Thanks.

As long as the cord is heavy enough so there is not a voltage drop, you should be fine.

Pellet stoves don't consume that much electricity. Use a short 16awg or larger cord and you won't have to worry about voltage drop. I would be more concerned with the "dirty" power from most generators. There are quite a few threads with info on using generators with pellet stoves. Using a good surge protector will help.

...... I would be more concerned with the "dirty" power from most generators. There are quite a few threads with info on using generators with pellet stoves. Using a good surge protector will help.

Surge from a generator isn't as important as sine wave type. A good power conditioner can smooth them out, although most people don't have many issues on generator power.

Agree with above, you need clean power per most pellet manufacturers. Which can be made from a conditioner, pure sine inverter, or a UPS.

If you are counting on this stove to protect your assets, I would suggest running a UPS, and power that with generator. All problems solved, and you get extra time to figure it all out / get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.