Exterior insulation on basement walls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRP3

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2007
NYS
I have an unfinished concrete block basement that I'd like to insulate on the outside with foam panels. I'll start with the back wall which is mostly above grade, the rest is about 3-4 ft. above grade and I'll probably dig down about a foot or so to bury the foam a bit.
http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement...ls/;jsessionid=PILDVYFJA2QQUCQCEAQCBHQ?page=2
What I wanted to do was use probably 2 inch thick blue or pink foam board then cover it with a fake foam or plastic brick face like this
http://www.display-smart.com/cgi-local/archives/2005/04/imitation_brick.html
or this
http://www.textureplus.com/faux_panels/faux_stone_panels/light_gray_interlock.aspx
I was wondering if there is a product like that which is already insulated, basically foam brick and insulation panel in one. Also, whats' the best way to attach the foam to the block wall, will adhesive be enough?

Thanks, that's pretty much what I had in mind. I'd prefer a larger stone profile but if the price is right I could probably live with that.

if your back wall is above grade what do plan on doing to hide the bright blue or bright pink boards of insulation. i'm not sure what state your in, but up here in massachusetts the frost line goes down around 3 feet below grade. if you are going to shovel by hand around the outside of the house to do this wouldn't it be easier to stud the inside walls and isulate in there. it helps with heat and cooling and moisture.

That's why I'm looking for a plastic brick face to go over the foam, or a foam panel with fake brick already on it. I don't want to insulate the inside for a number of reasons. Inside insulation doesn't use the thermal mass potential of the concrete blocks. Inside insulation will not help with moisture, if moisture is coming in through the block wall it will merely build up in the insulation, probably creating a messy mold problem. Yes I will have to do some digging, but I won't have to clean out the basement :cheese:

You will definitely want to go below grade. As "fbelec" notes, the frostline can be several feet down, so ideally you want to insulate below the frostline. But if you're doing the digging yourself, you're not likely to go down four feet. So... go down as far as is reasonable (1-2 feet) and go out a foot or two. Insulate the wall and then lay 1-2' of insulation horizontal, sloping away from the house, perpendicular to the foundation. For every foot out you insulate it's almost as good as going down one foot. Before you backfill, putting in a drainage pipe with landscape cloth and crushed stone may be appropriate too.

I'm curious about that Styro Industries panel. I have a similar project on the to-do list and saw that product online. I'd like to see it in person, but haven't poked around yet to see if there are any distributers in my area.

The stuff looks tempting, but it would seem awkward to me on our house - we have about 4' of foundation wall between the ground and the house siding, so it would seem like I would either not be able to dig down much if at all, or have to use the panels vertically, and end up with a lot more seams and / or waste...

Gooserider

I'm looking to do this job in the spring, lots of good ideas here. Anyone know the price on the Styro panels? Bet they're pricey

Gooserider said:
The stuff looks tempting, but it would seem awkward to me on our house - we have about 4' of foundation wall between the ground and the house siding, so it would seem like I would either not be able to dig down much if at all, or have to use the panels vertically, and end up with a lot more seams and / or waste...

Gooserider
They list a number of sizes: Available Sizes: 1’x 4’, 2’x 4’, 2’x 8’, 4’x 4’ and 4’x 8’
You could use 4x8 sheets horizontally and then a 1 or 2 by for below grade. I watched the video and you're supposed to caulk the seams with a clear caulking and press in some matching aggregate to blend in with the panels.

Yeah, I could do that, just wish they made a 5 or 6' width...

Gooserider

The styro panels look interesting, but I got into a minor mess with a similar project:
-We insulated the outside surface of a slab foundation with 2" of styrofoam type product.
-Then we covered it with a 1/2" cement board (did not work well - too much flex with the build out of the styrofoam).
-Then we backfilled.
-Then the contractor and I realized the total thickness had taken us out farther than the thickness of the overhang of the sheathing and siding on the wall above the foundation.

A stupid mistake, but check to see how much thickness you can accomodate, or you will have a complicated and odd looking flashing job ahead.

I've got pretty good overhang, but that's another reason I want to use a single complete product, it should have a more compact profile than foam plus some covering.

Status
Not open for further replies.