Exterminating silverfish

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beanscoot

Dec 30, 2007
Vancouver Island, Canada
I have a silverfish infestation in my house. I don't see them often, but they have been eating at some of my old book covers and paper products. My old house electrical permit which sits above the panel has a lot of damage now, but ten years ago when I moved into this old house it was fine. I have a lot of junk like old books, records and such in the house, and car parts, electrical parts etc. in cardboard boxes. But things are pretty clean in general. These pests seem to like paper and not food scraps- I don't see them in the kitchen, but occasionally trapped in the bathtub and more in the basement.

I have one or two glass doored bookcases in which I put blocks of camphor which seems to keep them away.

Any way to kill these varmints before they ruin my hundred year old books?

Maybe I need to banish my cat and get mice to eat them?

Found this:

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pest-control/how-to-get-rid-of-silverfish/

I use Ortho Home Defense spray to kill insects in my house. I mostly have millipedes that invade my house for some reason, and rollie-pollies (sowbugs) too. The poison works pretty well, but I don't think it lasts long or is very strong. The good thing is that is does not stain anything you spray it on.

I also have glue traps in out-of-the-way places that work well too.

I think a combination of things is your best bet.

Thanks for that link. I think I have to do some plumbing as it is probably moist under the kitchen taps and possibly the built in bathtub. There were some renovations in the 1980s that I think were not done so well. We are also starting to switch stored items into plastic bins with lids instead of cardboard boxes, which apparently are food for the silverfish.

Silver fish if I remember correctly like cold damp areas. Hence basement, bathroom, laundry room.
Had em at my old place, seen a few here even in the unfinished, dry addition on the concrete floor.
I hate the damned things, let us know what works when ya find it.

Remember, this is why Texans where pointy-toed boots - makes it easier to stomp the bugs in the corners... :lol:

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.