External air input through crawl space

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

georgepds

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2012
Hi
I have a Woodstock progress hybrid and am considering adding an external air input (see attached schematic)
My question is can I draw the air directly from the vented crawlspace just beneath the house, or do I need to add a horizontal run (in red) to the periphery of the house. My concern is the long horizontal run (~20’) would just add more pressure drop
I tried to look this up in the code book, but could not find it
TIA
G
external air.jpg

Unless your house is built very tight, it will work just fine. Outside air will come in from basement cracks and not in the living area.

Unless your house is built very tight, it will work just fine. Outside air will come in from basement cracks and not in the living area.
A crawl space is not a basement. It is a space underneath the house just tall enough to crawl in. A quality crawl space might keep the larger wildlife out but does not restrict airflow at all.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Oops - - sorry. Hooking it up to a crawl space is perfect.

My oak draws from the ventilated crawl just under the stove in the center of the house. It's really the ideal place.

Status
Not open for further replies.