External Temp Extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fenderblue

Jan 23, 2019
Missouri
I am using a new Absolute 43. Found the sensor coiled under the left shield. Question is: can't a person just add a piece of speaker or bell wire to make it longer?

You can uncoil the wire with the room sensor,and position it,experiment with it,to make the stove suits your needs.Your dealer should have told you this.I see where Harman has removed this info,from some of their stove manuals.Harman has always hidden information,to try to get you to use(information/install/repair) from a dealer,only.It will be their downfall.Extend that coiled wire,experiment,for your needs.Being millivolt, you can add wire and extend it up to 30 ft,with high quality wire,most people do this to put the stove on a millivolt thermostat.The only company worse for not releasing information,to the end buyer,is Travis Industries,they are horrible.

You can uncoil the wire with the room sensor,and position it,experiment with it,to make the stove suits your needs.Your dealer should have told you this.I see where Harman has removed this info,from some of their stove manuals.Harman has always hidden information,to try to get you to use(information/install/repair) from a dealer,only.It will be their downfall.Extend that coiled wire,experiment,for your needs.Being millivolt, you can add wire and extend it up to 30 ft,with high quality wire,most people do this to put the stove on a millivolt thermostat.The only company worse for not releasing information,to the end buyer,is Travis Industries,they are horrible.
Thanks. I just looked up a Honeywell $12.95 and some more that are higher. I might try one of those with some extended wires.

I extended my room temperature by 20' it works a lot better then the 5' coiled under the rear cover using the room temperature mode. How can I benefit if I install a economical millovolt thermostat? What will it control, stove temp mode or room temp. If I am using the schedule mode to vary the room temperature I can't see any benefit.

I extended my room temperature by 20' it works a lot better then the 5' coiled under the rear cover using the room temperature mode. How can I benefit if I install a economical millovolt thermostat? What will it control, stove temp mode or room temp. If I am using the schedule mode to vary the room temperature I can't see any benefit.
Ya,if using program mode,stick with it.Eventually I hope to add a programmable t/stat,just to have it warm up right before i get out of bed,lol.