External Temp on Double wall pipe on start up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed how I am burning.
What I found out is if I keep the top loading door open it gives the wood the time it needs to catch.
Sat-Mon, when I add wood or get it going from an almost out status, I left the top loading door open.
This kept the temps in the pipe below 300 #3 until I close the door.
Once I close the top loading door the fire going up the flue looks like a jet engine.
Then I close the bypass when it gets closer to 400 #3.
At this time the eco-fan will start spinning with a little help.
I found out if I keep the air on high the temps will continue to climb another 100 or so degrees before leveling off and starting to fall.
So I put it on the 2nd notch for around 1/2 hour.
If the stove top #2 has not moved above 250, or the stove front #1 has not moved above 300, I start the process over.
Typically of the 9/9 it made it between 325-400 on #2, and 375-500 on #1 in about 1/2 hour after the 2nd try.

Status
Not open for further replies.