External Thermostats for 55SHP10

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

undertaker

Oct 5, 2008
Northern New York
I have an external thermostat on my stove. It is quite hard to regulate. The manual says to set the heat and blower settings on 9. I am going through almost a whole bag in 14- 15 hours. Should I go back to the internal one on the control panel or what? The thermostat is a Honeywell sold on the Englander website.

Just installed a thermostat on my stove and it's working great. I had to adjust my fuel feed rate for the low burn. Before the adjustment I was burning through a bag of pellets at about the same rate you are, and now a bag lasts about 24 hours.

Folks,
I too just installed an external thermostat for my 55SHP10. I purchased a programmable
one made by LUX.
I seem to have a mental block on how the thermostat is suppose to work. I have both my dials
set at "9" as directed, and my thermostat (which is located in another room) set at 73.
I understand the thermostat does not control the "on" "off" function. So, the thermostat only
controls the feed rate and blower speed, correct?
Now, when the room reaches the desired temperature (73) the feed rate and blower speed decreases,
correct? What does the feed rate and blower speed decrease to?
Thanks
Brian

wellsme said:
Folks,
I too just installed an external thermostat for my 55SHP10. I purchased a programmable
one made by LUX.
I seem to have a mental block on how the thermostat is suppose to work. I have both my dials
set at "9" as directed, and my thermostat (which is located in another room) set at 73.
I understand the thermostat does not control the "on" "off" function. So, the thermostat only
controls the feed rate and blower speed, correct?
Now, when the room reaches the desired temperature (73) the feed rate and blower speed decreases,
correct? What does the feed rate and blower speed decrease to?
Thanks
Brian

The thermostat just controls the feed rate, not the blower speed. I would guess that the blower is left at a setting of 9 to prevent overfiring when the fuel is feeding on 9.

I ran a 55shp10 for a 2 years on a thermostat. The thermostat controls the fuel rate only. Not the blower speed. If your flame is real high when the thermostat is not calling for heat you might want to adjust your low fuel setting. You should call englander before you do this and have them guide you through it. I used to run my stove at 7 heat and 9 blower most of the time on the thermostat. Unless it was really cold outside. You can turn down the heat setting with no porblems you can also turn down the blower if you are using a lower heat setting. Do not set the blower lower than the fuel. I usually kept it 2 higher than the fuel unless it was set at 9 and 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.