F-propane. Coal stove suggestions to heat my entire house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbock1234

Feb 10, 2008
North Central PA
Help.
My first floor is 1200sq'. My finished basement is 900sq'. Currently, I have a wood stove in the finished basement. It's a pain. Gathering, splitting, stacking, restacking,,, It's been ok, but I'm done with it after this winter.

My current wood stove is located in my finished basement, chimney vented. I have a small register in the ceiling directly above it that happens to be the center of my first floor. I use a box fan in a poor, yet somewhat effective way to pull some heat upstairs. I do all this to supplement my HWBB propane furnace now that propane is $2.50/gal(doubled in last 4yrs). Using only propane, my heating bill would be approx. $2500/yr at today's rates.

I'm looking at a Keystoker 105 with the duct option so that I can run the duct straight into my first floor. Coal is currently approx. $200/ton in my area. I'm guessing 5ton/year to heat my home. But I hear coal prices have really gone up over the past two years.

My questions: Would this type of anticipated setup work to heat my entire house?
Might I be able to operate entirely without the use of propane?
Any chance propane prices might go down and coal up?
Do I have any better options to accomplish this same goal?

Any and all advice given would be extremely appriciated.

Attachments

• 12-2007 002.jpg
    12-2007 002.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 338
  • 12-2007 001.jpg
    12-2007 001.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 355
If I didn't have all this wood on my own backyard I would heat with coal in a heartbeat. I have a friend that heats a 2story house twice as large as yours. Each morning he brings in 2 5gal buckets of coal to use during the next 24 hours. a truck just dumps it on an old garage pad...he doesn't even cover it up. Frank uses a small centrally located stove, like you have but different, and blows the heat around with fans
I know nothing about using that stove though.

ps his house gets warmer that mine...just so ya know.

My parents live in clinton county, Pa. My dad has a harman magnum stoker, after I finally convinced him to bag the hand fired baker. He heats his house solely with it. He does have HWBB and oil too. Probably a 1500 sq ft ranch. Stove is in the basement. He usually burns around four ton of rice coal a year. The only time the furnace comes on is when the temps dip to around -10F. Then it only runs for an hour or two in the A.M. until the stove catches back up. He gets the oil tank "topped off" every other year. 500 gal tank. Oil co. calls every fall, but they have a minimum delivery, he always tells them to come next year for the minimum delivery. Most of the oil used is for hot water only.

You shouldn't have any problem heating the whole house.

Take a look at the Hitzer and Harman hand fired stoves. They've got one to take care of your size house no problem.

HIGHLY doubtful that you'll use 5 tons a year to heat that house. Unless you have no insulation at all you shouldn't need much more than 3 tons.

I'd suggest moving those sheets/curtains or whatever they are a lil bit further from the stove there. Better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.