F100 Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sesro1978

Dec 23, 2008
Vermont, USA
Hey all-

I thought I'd provide an update on this stove (Jotul F100) after the hoopla explained here. In short, it's fantastic and we love it! The stove really heats our house well, which is a 1,450 sq. foot cape with a center staircase.

After running the stove for about an hour, the downstairs gets to be 71-72 while the upstairs is probably 74 - it's very comfortable and with it starting out warmer upstairs when we go to bed, the oil heat doesn't really kick on until early in the morning.

I do wish the firebox was a little larger, and sometimes it a bit of a jigsaw puzzle to get some of the longer splits in, but that's few and far between. When it does occur; that the split is too long for the firebox, it either gets put in a pile to be hacked down to length or I bust it up into kindling. We initially had some smoking on startup, but we've figured out that if we crack our screen door a little, until the flue gets up to about 200, it alleviates this.

I don't think it'd be an overnight burner (haven't tried yet), but there have been many mornings so far that I've come down and there are still coals buried in the ash and the stove is still warm.

Overall, vey happy with the stove - just not thrilled with the install experience.

Thanks for all help and suggestions so far!

Good to hear it's keeping you warm. It's not meant for long burns, but more of an area heater that gets fed every few hours.

I'm also a member of the small stove club, and I really like it! We have a Morso 2B Classic and if I load it well at night there are still coals when we get out of bed.

Very happy to hear that you guys are enjoying it, after the install issues I was worried, but it looks like you made the right choice sticking with the f100 vs changing to the 500

Following up on this as I am the OP.

The dealer is going to reimburse us for the cost of wall shield construction,

So what does the "reimbursed" wall shield look like?

Good question.

At this point we have the Durock up but have yet to install the tile (we have it). So the stove is safe but it ain't pretty (yet).

Im thinking a really nice tile wall wont look bad at all and will break up the painted wall.

Reactions: SpaceBus