F3 vs. Two Cords of Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwells794

Jul 22, 2015
Virginia
If I tried to burn 24/7, or pretty close to it, starting say mid to late November, how far would it take me? Let's pretend the wood is properly seasoned oak, 16" cuts. Theoretically, if I'd start a fresh fire at 6am and maintain it until I went to bed around 10pm with a fresh load in the stove and just let it burn out over night... When would I run out of wood?

Assuming the firebox size is 1.17 cu.ft. and you load it twice a day every day you would achieve ~109 days of burning for two cords of wood.
It would surely be loaded more than twice a day. I don't know what the comparison to compressed sawdust brick to oak would be, but I get about 4hrs out of seven 2lb bricks.

In NOVA burning like that you will use around a 1/2 cord a month.

It would surely be loaded more than twice a day. I don't know what the comparison to compressed sawdust brick to oak would be, but I get about 4hrs out of seven 2lb bricks.
I misunderstood. Thought you said you were going to load once at night and once in the morning. I don't know enough about your heat demand to help you out with that one. Surely someone that has been able to compare burns between oak and compressed sawdust could help you out.

Reactions: fitter9
Burn time for the F3CB is about 4-6 hrs in milder weather and about 3 hrs when the stove is being pressed for heat. Softwood mostly here.

Last edited:
I assume virginia gets a decent winter not much sub zero temps so you might be able to make it till march if your cheap with the wood;)

The posts indicate somebody there all day to feed the stove. Same way I ran my F3CB in the basement office right up to letting the night load burn down. And I burned around a one third to one half cord of red and white oak a month in it. And that was in an un-insulated 1,000 sq. ft. basement. During Snowmageddon.

White oak, you are burning gold by local standards. How do my softwood times compare to oak burning time between reloads?

The posts indicate somebody there all day to feed the stove. Same way I ran my F3CB in the basement office right up to letting the night load burn down. And I burned around a one third to one half cord of red and white oak a month in it. And that was in an un-insulated 1,000 sq. ft. basement. During Snowmageddon.
Yeah, there will be someone here all day most days. BB, you're close enough to Richmond that the weather is about the same. You figure 2 cords would probably be enough for a central Va winter? Small 1 story, 3 bed 1 bath rancher.

If this is the first season using it you will use maybe a third more getting settled in with the stove operation. But if you can resist the temptation to burn too much before it gets really cold you can probably make it through March. On sunny mild days just do a chill chaser in the morning and let it burn down and then light up again after sundown. A huge mistake and wood eater is trying to just keep it burning in mild weather to avoid restarting it.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
If this is the first season using it you will use maybe a third more getting settled in with the stove operation. But if you can resist the temptation to burn too much before it gets really cold you can probably make it through March. On sunny mild days just do a chill chaser in the morning and let it burn down and then light up again after sundown. A huge mistake and wood eater is trying to just keep it burning in mild weather to avoid restarting it.
Gotcha. Nah, not doing wood this year. Too short notice. Nothing would be dry enough. Just want to know what I can expect. thanks

If you are in the Richmond area an outfit down there makes Liberty Bricks and sells them for less than $200 a ton. If they were closer I would pawn my chainsaw. They are located out by King's Dominion.

If you are in the Richmond area an outfit down there makes Liberty Bricks and sells them for less than $200 a ton. If they were closer I would pawn my chainsaw. They are located out by King's Dominion.
Yah, I already have a pallet. Prolly gonna go pick up a second next week so I'll be good till at least some time in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.