F500 junk 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If someone says negative things about a product, but the negative experience is not the fault of the product (they used it incorrectly, for example), then that is not useful information for someone interested in that product. "Valid" is not the issue, I think, and reading somebody's venting of their irritation does not help me figure out if the product itself is bad.
There have been enough complaints about this stove from enough different people including very experienced people in the industry for us to know they have issues. Are they issues that can be overcome? Possibly we just don't know yet. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with a person complaining about a bad experience with a stove as long as they don't take it to a point of brand bashing

There have been enough complaints about this stove from enough different people including very experienced people in the industry for us to know they have issues. Are they issues that can be overcome? Possibly we just don't know yet. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with a person complaining about a bad experience with a stove as long as they don't take it to a point of brand bashing
I have no argument with the idea that a stove (or any other product or service) might be bad, and I don't think that a stove is "not bad" just because it is somehow possible to overcome its problems. But I do think that complaining about a product that you did not use (or install, or whatever) properly is not useful information, it's just whining, and that is what I was responding to. Now, whining with evidence that the complaining is justified? That is very useful information, in my book. Even better is a summary of complaints such as you (bholler) have given above, especially with the note (subject to argument, I suppose, but still useful) that very experienced people have complaints about the stove in question. And for that, I (and other newbies) thank you!

I have no argument with the idea that a stove (or any other product or service) might be bad, and I don't think that a stove is "not bad" just because it is somehow possible to overcome its problems. But I do think that complaining about a product that you did not use (or install, or whatever) properly is not useful information, it's just whining, and that is what I was responding to. Now, whining with evidence that the complaining is justified? That is very useful information, in my book. Even better is a summary of complaints such as you (bholler) have given above, especially with the note (subject to argument, I suppose, but still useful) that very experienced people have complaints about the stove in question. And for that, I (and other newbies) thank you!
Fair enough

There arent alot of reviews on stoves. It's not like you can go out to the internet and find countless videos, websites and discussion forums to read about the stoves you are interested in.
So any data, even if it is a rant, is good data.
It's FAR better than someone gushing all over a brand just because they love that brand.
It's a learning opportunity for perspective buyers. "Wow look at this guy, he's PIS*ED about his stove, and it sounds like he's in the same boat as us with his install, maybe I should read more about what this person experienced and if they ever solved the problem"

As far as the validity of the data, if one person is experiencing a large number of issues because 'they are doing it wrong', then it's likely many others will fall into the same set of emotions and pitfalls. Also, if a stove is that difficult to operate safely and efficiently, maybe there should be some emotional non analytical ranting going on. It shows perspective buyers what can happen, but also if they follow along what many eventually lead to (figuring it out to some extent, selling it, or even an AHA moment whereas we discover a flaw that is fixable at home through discussion).

Product bashing is not allowed on here, I get it. At some point it's no longer productive conversation and only bashing a product no troubleshooting no back and forth, just bashing. But if someone is willing to continue a dialog of troubleshooting along with their frustrations being heard, have at it I say. But I'm not the owner of the website so.

That's just my two cents.

OP has one post....at the very top of this thread.
a question for OP would could be, Why "downgrade" from what was had?

In Jøtul F500 v3 defense, I claim no "Clink cklink clink bang bang clink.... 24hrs"... none whatsoever.
My stove was purchased/installed late December 2020.
Sure, had some minor breaking in issues but since resolved and now purrs like a purrfect pussycat.

calling the "F5OO junk" in my opinion is BS.

would I recommend the Jøtul F500v3?
well, I will tell my experience with it, limited as it is only having it approximately 2½ seasons...
and after learning more about other stoves on the market (from this site) AFTER my purchase, I will suggest potential buyers to read (join) this forum for a more precise/educated opinion and or option...

Reactions: stoveliker
OP has one post....at the very top of this thread.
a question for OP would could be, Why "downgrade" from what was had?

In Jøtul F500 v3 defense, I claim no "Clink cklink clink bang bang clink.... 24hrs"... none whatsoever.
My stove was purchased/installed late December 2020.
Sure, had some minor breaking in issues but since resolved and now purrs like a purrfect pussycat.

calling the "F5OO junk" in my opinion is BS.

would I recommend the Jøtul F500v3?
well, I will tell my experience with it, limited as it is only having it approximately 2½ seasons...
and after learning more about other stoves on the market (from this site) AFTER my purchase, I will suggest potential buyers to read (join) this forum for a more precise/educated opinion and or option...
hey glad to hear it's working out for you. I looked at this stove recently at the Jotul dealer near me. My local dealer was having a hard time keeping those in stock for awhile.

Reactions: JamesGuido
hey glad to hear it's working out for you. I looked at this stove recently at the Jotul dealer near me. My local dealer was having a hard time keeping those in stock for awhile.
thank you!
when we were looking to replace the old VC, we were leaning towards the same, but told, and since, heard many unpleasant stories about VC the company and product. Visual differences between what we had (1991 model) to the current (2020) was quite extreme.
Heard all good things about Jøtul from dealerships and salespeople...no real input from users until I joined you folks.

now looking in this area for what I would buy over the F500, I'd hafta go north a bit or out of Wisconsin, which I prefer to avoid.

thank you!
when we were looking to replace the old VC, we were leaning towards the same, but told, and since, heard many unpleasant stories about VC the company and product. Visual differences between what we had (1991 model) to the current (2020) was quite extreme.
Heard all good things about Jøtul from dealerships and salespeople...no real input from users until I joined you folks.

now looking in this area for what I would buy over the F500, I'd hafta go north a bit or out of Wisconsin, which I prefer to avoid.
Two things I liked about the Oslo
1. the side door. That's pretty cool. I thought the top loading of the VC would be the greatest. It's ok, at least Im not puking ash all over my hearth every time I want to load or move wood around. But it has it's drawbacks like the lack of visible secondary fire! Had I known that..if a decent sales person would have told me, I would have waited for the Jotul F45 to get in stock.
2. No damper to close for combustor burn. Im sure it has it's drawbacks and challenges..not sure where OP was hearing noises..sounds like a rabbit got stuck in the flue and was probably trying hard to get out after the fire was start...never heard of a stove making noise like that to the point that they couldnt sleep. That said, I bet this stove just needs to get to temp and startup is a 3 hour long process, then it likely cruises with a nice secondary burn as well as a tiercerary burn through the combustor.

Two things I liked about the Oslo
1. the side door. That's pretty cool. I thought the top loading of the VC would be the greatest. It's ok, at least Im not puking ash all over my hearth every time I want to load or move wood around. But it has it's drawbacks like the lack of visible secondary fire! Had I known that..if a decent sales person would have told me, I would have waited for the Jotul F45 to get in stock.
2. No damper to close for combustor burn. Im sure it has it's drawbacks and challenges..not sure where OP was hearing noises..sounds like a rabbit got stuck in the flue and was probably trying hard to get out after the fire was start...never heard of a stove making noise like that to the point that they couldnt sleep. That said, I bet this stove just needs to get to temp and startup is a 3 hour long process, then it likely cruises with a nice secondary burn as well as a tiercerary burn through the combustor.
I thought I would miss the top loading of the vc… perhaps sometimes I do, and after knowing how this F500 operates, I don’t miss the damper either.
I forget the length I was limited to in the Vermont C, but I know it was much smaller than the 24” length of the Jøtul.

My wife was reading some of this then asked if I thought we should replace the F500… 😳 yikes.

I thought I would miss the top loading of the vc… perhaps sometimes I do, and after knowing how this F500 operates, I don’t miss the damper either.
I forget the length I was limited to in the Vermont C, but I know it was much smaller than the 24” length of the Jøtul.

My wife was reading some of this then asked if I thought we should replace the F500… 😳 yikes.
Well my neighbors dont struggle with their stoves much. They dont over fire and they dont create a ton of creosote. All different brands. Some new, some old..but none as new as mine. So I suspect the new regs are what are causing stove manufacturers to create more cumbersome to use stoves. It took me awhile to get to know the quirks of my setup, and I still dont love the thing, but it works. I have a healthy fear of it, and like tomorrow I have to leave for a few hours - Im glad I have a webcam on it, alarms that will warn me over the internet, and a neighbor or two that would go over there in less than a minute to take care of any dire situations. <-- THAT is not what I thought I was getting into when I got the stove.
So I started looking at a Jotul, and Pacific Energy, and a few other popular brands here. If I had all the time in the world and not 900 different projects, I would probably sell my stove on facebook marketplace and get something else. But at this point it's more of a hassle. Maybe some day. And heck I may end up with another stove, same problems w/ a different name on the side. So, it is what it is.

We don’t need a Lamborghini!
It's more like a Buick and a whole lot simpler than a Lamborghini or the F500v3. The Jotul F55 is a closer analogy and a good heater with a simpler design.

Stupid me just downgraded from Dutchwest to garbage Jotul f500 v3 in November 2022. After doing proper seasoning this stove would not shut up. Clink cklink clink bang bang clink.... 24hrs. Can't sleep. My dealer Wood Heat in Flemington and in PA is useless, I can't get them over to fix. Idiot service manager ater 2 weeks, 3 voicemails with my number and when he accidently picked up the phone after multiple trasfers and said: I was just about to call you.. and told me that he would call right back and that he dont usually service wood stoves... 2 weeks later after no calls I went back to the store where I bought it from and they sceduled service appointment for early afternoon several days later...... 3.30 pm nobody here. Called service and they told that technician called out and they were trying to call me 3 times as of 8am!!! Oops moron manager said he had wrong number and it's not his fault, seriously? Called Jotul they told me to contact dealer, they don't fix anything. $4500 LEMON. Filing lawsuit. Stay away from both! Wish i can upload video.
It's a bit early to blame the stove. This sounds like the issue is with the dealer.

It's more like a Buick and a whole lot simpler than a Lamborghini or the F500v3. The Jotul F55 is a closer analogy and a good heater with a simpler design.
nevertheless, the F500 is the stove i got burning and most likely will be the last stove I burn. It suits me fine and I'll wear out before it does.

nevertheless, the F500 is the stove i got burning and most likely will be the last stove I burn. It suits me fine and I'll wear out before it does.
As it should be. There were some learning pains with the early F500v3. The cat could warp and there was some air leaking at the ashpan door that was of concern. Both of those issues were addressed pretty quickly from what has been reported here. I think Jotul may have even switched to a steel cat, which can clog earlier, but the stovetop is gasketed and can be left unbolted for quick access and cleaning. Cleaning the cat of ash on the face is not peculiar to this stove. I think the main issue is that this is the first time many people have dealt with cat stove ownership and maintenance.

As it should be. There were some learning pains with the early F500v3. The cat could warp and there was some air leaking at the ashpan door that was of concern. Both of those issues were addressed pretty quickly from what has been reported here. I think Jotul may have even switched to a steel cat, which can clog earlier, but the stovetop is gasketed and can be left unbolted for quick access and cleaning. Cleaning the cat of ash on the face is not peculiar to this stove. I think the main issue is that this is the first time many people have dealt with cat stove ownership and maintenance.
Cleaning it multiple times a season is particular to this stove though. They started with the ceramic cat with large cells to avoid clogging but they were "built out of spec" they now have steel cats and have issues with clogging

Well my neighbors dont struggle with their stoves much. They dont over fire and they dont create a ton of creosote. All different brands. Some new, some old..but none as new as mine. So I suspect the new regs are what are causing stove manufacturers to create more cumbersome to use stoves. It took me awhile to get to know the quirks of my setup, and I still dont love the thing, but it works. I have a healthy fear of it, and like tomorrow I have to leave for a few hours - Im glad I have a webcam on it, alarms that will warn me over the internet, and a neighbor or two that would go over there in less than a minute to take care of any dire situations. <-- THAT is not what I thought I was getting into when I got the stove.
So I started looking at a Jotul, and Pacific Energy, and a few other popular brands here. If I had all the time in the world and not 900 different projects, I would probably sell my stove on facebook marketplace and get something else. But at this point it's more of a hassle. Maybe some day. And heck I may end up with another stove, same problems w/ a different name on the side. So, it is what it is.
But most manufacturers have stoves that meet the new regs without any real issues. And the VC issues aren't new for 2020

i wholeheartedly agree with you. And yes, I have a steel cat in this unit, and glad it do. Cleaning is quite easy and doing so often does not phase me a bit.
Cleaning it multiple times a season is particular to this stove though. They started with the ceramic cat with large cells to avoid clogging but they were "built out of spec" they now have steel cats and have issues with clogging
i think of it as checking the oil level in my tractor each and every time i fire it up.
a good maintenance plan will preserve the life of most living and not so living things on this Earth.