F500 v3, Don't be James

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JamesGuido

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2021
Raymond, Wisconsin
this morning i decided to brush away my fly ash that builds up on the cat.
think i'll do it more often than i have.
>frome right to left<

flyashjotul02192023a.jpegflyashjotul02192023b.jpegflyashjotul02192023c.jpg

figured something was crazy cuz i wasn't getting the fine results i usually get warming the house....

so don't be me and neglect your fly ash covered cat

That should make a notable difference. How many full cords were burned since the last cleaning?

Reactions: JamesGuido
perhaps 2. no more than 2.
i am kinda shocked at the build up since i do not burn paper of cardboard types of anything.
i use kiln dried hardwoods from a woodworking/milling company for kindling and firestarters to start.
moisture metered 12% dry oak is my fuel.
the stove is new, installed last week December 2020.
today i'm cleaning the flue for the first time.
wasn't bad at all on the top of the inside...

jotulfluedown.jpg

...and looking up before i start with the sooteater...

jotulflueup.jpg

Reactions: Highbeam
The build up looks good. Well done.

The ash on the cat could be due to too much draft; it can suck up fly ash.

How tall is the chimney, from stove top to cap?

The build up looks good. Well done.

The ash on the cat could be due to too much draft; it can suck up fly ash.

How tall is the chimney, from stove top to cap?
Thank you!
Not sure but I’ll measure tomorrow and let you know…
Now it seems it’s back to normal

95F798AE-5527-49A6-9641-69F48CB4011E.jpeg

ok. not likely too much draft then.

Id just look at thr cat every half cord when the stove might be cold for a day and vacuum is needed. Dont know how easy you can get to it though on your stove.

ok. not likely too much draft then.

Id just look at thr cat every half cord when the stove might be cold for a day and vacuum is needed. Dont know how easy you can get to it though on your stove.
i figure i'll vacuum it once a month... i change filters in the home once a month so i'll add this to that step.
just lie on your back with the front door open, access to the front of the cat is right at the top.
i haven't mustered enough to remove the top of the stove, yet i understand it is quite easy to do.
perhaps at the end of the burning season when/if i strip a bolt or screw something else up, i'll have some time to fix it before the next burn.

Well, figured I’d give a look at the cat while I had the front door open… looks as clean as the day I vacuumed it up last month…
So perhaps an inspection is required only mid burning season…

C76237AF-3F77-4881-B013-5287B3A417CA.jpeg