Fabricating block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

White ash

Dec 4, 2021
Rural NJ
Hi all, I installed my kuma cascade le insert over the summer and did not have the time at that moment to install a proper block off plate above the insert. Currently has insulation stuffed around gaps and liner. Would like to pull surround and install block off plate or best thing I can with stove still installed. What materials has everyone liked to use? And how did you do it? Pictures would be great as well!!

26g Sheet metal & roxal insulation

Make the template out of cardboard and transfer it to the sheet metal.

Reactions: White ash
Do you adhere the insulation to the back of the block of plating?
When I did my friends plate, I cut large rectangles of the roxal with a bread knife and was able to just have the pressure of the insulation rigidness hold itself in the fire box, then I install in 2 sections the sheet metal, I bent the on edge all the way in half to make a strong edge and rested it on the lintel edge then I made a L channel on the other edge and popped some self-taping screws in to hold it up, hasnt moved in years.
I was able to work in an empty fireplace, it would be really tough to do that with the insert inplace unless you have long drill extensions and patience