Face cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
I have read on here the term Face Cord many times and seen it in advertising . As far as I can determine by the measurement's that have been stated a face cord is 16in X 4ft X 8ft. My math comes up with 42.66 cubic feet. Alot closer to a third of a cord than a Half.Am I wrong?
Mike

That is a great web site. I am going to print ten copies of the page and post it next to the firewood sale section ot the grocery store.
Mike

Face cord is the common way wood is sold in this area. Currently most are around $85.00 for a face cord of 'seasoned', mixed hardwoo, delivered but not stacked.

The measure of 16" x 4' x 8' is correct.

MrGriz said:
Face cord is the common way wood is sold in this area. Currently most are around $85.00 for a face cord of 'seasoned', mixed hardwoo, delivered but not stacked.

The measure of 16" x 4' x 8' is correct.

Yikes. $85/face? $255/cord. Really stretches the payoff time on the wood stove.

Steve

That's why I scrounge and avoid paying for wood.

Dylan said:
"Face Cord' might be terminology more often applied to wood that one purchases and transports by oneself. It seems to be an amount that wouldn't endanger the family pick-up truck.
Goes way farther back than that. My Grandfather hauled 4 foot pulp wood with a horse and sleigh back in the early thirties and face cord was a common term then. It was an easy way of differentiating between wood that was headed for the mill (a full cord, or "bush cord") vs. wood that was meant to be burnt on the farm, already cut to stove length, "face cord".
Most sellers here still use face cord as a measurement when selling wood, unless they specify a "full bush cord".

Status
Not open for further replies.