Faceplate with insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2014
Southern NJ
Does the faceplate block heat from coming into my family room. I mean the heat that might come from the sides are blocked. Any thoughts?

Some can, I set my unit forward 3/4" to let heat out. Previously most of that heat trapped behind my surround was coming from the flue which was exposed. Since I added a metal block off plate and insulation I don't find it to be the case so much anymore which is good. It means the flue is staying hotter and hopefully keeping the liner cleaner.

Are you referring to the surround that closes the insert into the fireplace? If you are, I left mine off for that very reason. That and I liked the way it looked better than with it. I'm convinced that I get more heat without it. I'm thinking of putting a small fan on the hearth blowing into the area behind the stove to try to get even more heat out. I think a block off plate is even more important for retaining heat. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421473069.137230.jpg

Depends on the insert. The PE inserts have a second casing/shell on top, back, and sides.
The surround mounts around the casing edge, so there is an air space between the top, sides and back, and it also sits on rails above the floor, so air space there also.

Status
Not open for further replies.