Fact checking the sellers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marquis

May 28, 2019
Don't know
Hi,

I'd like to buy a pellet stove (my first). Spoke with a few sellers. One of them said that Quadra was more reliable than Enviro. He also said that Enviro is moving away from wood to focus on gas, which will reduce a consumer's ability to get parts for the stove in the coming years.

Two questions for the experts:
  • Which stove is more reliable: Quadra Santa Fe or Enviro Mini?
  • Is Enviro going to move away from wood for real?

Thanks a million

Every one has there opinion on which stove is best
Personally Envrio is in the top 2 and my favorite
I have not seen anything that points to Sherwood Industries
moving away from wood

Reactions: Marquis
One thing to remember when it comes to dealers of anything... They are going to sell what they have in stock and what gives them the highest profit no matter the quality of it. Best thing to do is look up the reviews and ratings of any units your looking at as well as search the forums for issues.. Its a little bit of leg work but worth it in the end.

I have had 4 pellet stoves over the years. I've had an Englander 55 SHP, Enviro Mini, Vistamax and my current Ravelli rv100c. Still at the vista Max which is a 70000 BTU which I only use one season and I'm putting that out my garage. I'm only on the second season of The Ravelli but by far the best one I've had this far. There's a lot of pellet stove out there and eventually every pellet stove is going to have its issues so do your research and pick the one you like the best.

can't say which might be more reliable but I would go with the sante Fe simply for the extra btu and hopper size.

I have had 4 pellet stoves over the years. I've had an Englander 55 SHP, Enviro Mini, Vistamax and my current Ravelli rv100c. Still at the vista Max which is a 70000 BTU which I only use one season and I'm putting that out my garage. I'm only on the second season of The Ravelli but by far the best one I've had this far. There's a lot of pellet stove out there and eventually every pellet stove is going to have its issues so do your research and pick the one you like the best.
Good to know, thanks

We sell Enviros and I have no worries about finding parts. They will be dropping stove lines in 2020 along with many other companies. Check the EPA list for test results, especially efficiency.

I’d steer away from the Santa Fe. It used to be pretty solid but I’ve had a lot of problems with them and the cb1200s in the last few years. I’d jump on a Harman p43 if your looking for a stove that is hassle free and long lived but small.

I’ve got a Quadrafire, well over 20 yrs old,,, had it rebuilt once.... Recently had a few problems with older parts, however, once I solved those problems it has worked just fine,,,,,I can’t imagine what more I would need.

I got Harmon XXV last May and used Sep - March. Had minor problem with screws impacting distro fan. Great Stove. Did really well even at -10f last year. Went thru 4.1 Tons of Pellets. Lots easier than Wood Stove we had.

Enviro is out of solid/cord wood burning products with no push for 2020 compliance. Pellet fired units are still something they'll be building and supporting, but they will eliminate some of the less popular/reliable/desirable products. My understanding is they will be keeping the Mini, P3, Meridian (stove and insert), M55 (multifuel stove and insert), and the 2 Maxx stove (multifuel and pellet). Though with the sales really drying up in the pellet realm for the last few years, it is true their biggest push has been with Gas products.

Enviro is out of solid/cord wood burning products with no push for 2020 compliance. Pellet fired units are still something they'll be building and supporting, but they will eliminate some of the less popular/reliable/desirable products. My understanding is they will be keeping the Mini, P3, Meridian (stove and insert), M55 (multifuel stove and insert), and the 2 Maxx stove (multifuel and pellet). Though with the sales really drying up in the pellet realm for the last few years, it is true their biggest push has been with Gas products.

Thank you for the insight. I'm hoping the new EPA rules drive efficiency gains as well as the intended emissions improvements. It's so nice to be able to compare apples to apples when choosing heaters. I believe that lots of stove models will become "less popular/desirable" when people realize that one model pukes 20% more of their heat ($$$) out the exhaust than the other models.

Enviro is a good brand. We bought a Hudson River Chatham last season, which is all Enviro guts, and it worked like a charm for us.