Factors to consider for zero clearance fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LJVP

Dec 18, 2021
Michigan
Hi! It finally clicked today that what we need to upgrade our current wood burning heat situation is a zero clearance fireplace. What factors should we be considering to select the most appropriate one?

Here’s the list I have started:
- room size (open floor plan, used to heat 1000 sq ft with 20 foot ceiling)
- efficiency (I learned here - thank you!! - that only one unit is efficient enough for the tax credit. I’m looking at that one but not sure if it’s the right size or if the budget will allow for it. So, what’s the next level of criteria to use to determine an efficient model?
- burn time? Ideally we’d like to have coals in the morning.

What else should we be considering and what are your recommendations for these various factors?

I appreciate any advice or recommendations you can offer!

I am developing my list of ZC fireplaces, based on being able to fit in the corner location I have to use where the old one is. Need to consider depth also. Stoves are more efficient, and cheaper, haven't ruled one out but I just don't like the look personally, nor does the SO. Most of these ZC are 66-74% HHV, not a big deal, but will come down to ease of use, loading and burn times. I probably will add a few more filters and labels. I am at least a year away from doing this, the area will have to be demoed, and changing to a stone/brick veneer from the real bricks which are halfway up the wall. Think i don't want to add another 1000# to the floor if i don't have to, and won't be able to match the brick anyways. I know i want the gravity air vents. I've got a 4-season room open to the house that has a PTAC w/ heat pump in it. Something i have to consider, as the room pours cold air into the house. This is an expensive project, since the ZC fireplaces are all 4500-6500 by themselves. My max corner width is only 88", eliminates a lot of manufacturers. But Osburn/Valcourt, Astria, PE, Hearthstone and Supreme are what i am looking at now.

firesheet.JPG 20180901_193321 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LJVP
I am developing my list of ZC fireplaces, based on being able to fit in the corner location I have to use where the old one is. Need to consider depth also. Stoves are more efficient, and cheaper, haven't ruled one out but I just don't like the look personally, nor does the SO. Most of these ZC are 66-74% HHV, not a big deal, but will come down to ease of use, loading and burn times. I probably will add a few more filters and labels. I am at least a year away from doing this, the area will have to be demoed, and changing to a stone/brick veneer from the real bricks which are halfway up the wall. Think i don't want to add another 1000# to the floor if i don't have to, and won't be able to match the brick anyways. I know i want the gravity air vents. I've got a 4-season room open to the house that has a PTAC w/ heat pump in it. Something i have to consider, as the room pours cold air into the house. This is an expensive project, since the ZC fireplaces are all 4500-6500 by themselves. My max corner width is only 88", eliminates a lot of manufacturers. But Osburn/Valcourt, Astria, PE, Hearthstone and Supreme are what i am looking at now.

View attachment 287998 View attachment 287999
Thanks for sharing your process and thoughts!! Good luck with your project!

There are other factors to consider: fan noise, heat take off, remote blower, square firebox, service and parts. Of these, as a general rule I am biased toward a fireplace or stove that can load N/S. Many shallow units are only E/W loaders which reduces the full load capacity.

There are other factors to consider: fan noise, heat take off, remote blower, square firebox, service and parts. Of these, as a general rule I am biased toward a fireplace or stove that can load N/S. Many shallow units are only E/W loaders which reduces the full load capacity.
Thank you! I feel a spreadsheet coming on, lol.

Definitely agree with @begreen. I am going to start cutting to 12" length for N/S loading the new Strattford II in the northwoods. It heats pretty well, but isn't an "easy breather" like the NC30 at home and doesn't like softwood (pine) E/W.

Need to replace our old woodburning Zero Clearance fireplace in our condo. Osburn Stratford 2, Superior WRT/WCT 3000, Morsoe 5660 and EnergyMaster 42 are the ones some stove shops have suggested. As we know nothing about fireplaces it is impossible to compare or to know which would be the most suitable option or which would not. 'Non brick' chimney is outside, the fireplace sits in the corner of large open room and it would not be for primary heat, as we have electric for that. The original unit has name Temco on it.