Failed WETT on my Tulikivi, now what?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How much room you you actually have for clearance?

If enough maybe add a heat shield on top of the existing walls with a air gap. That would then lower your requirements?

you are right, it is not WETT, some other kind of cert. I assumed it was that because that was in our last place (which was indeed in Canada), but back then we sailed right through it...

Good idea, will ask our broker, but I bet every insurer will want that. the previous owners were grandfathered in
I don't understand this. The installation gets grandfathered, not the owners. Unless you pulled a permit to do major renovations, the previous certification should still be valid.

That's not the way insurance companies work. There can be a wide variance in what and how they will underwrite.

Ok regardless of whether its grandfathered or not the stove does not have the minimum clearances required for safety by the stoves manufacturer. Just because nothing has happened in 30 years doesn't mean it won't. Wood takes time to pyrolyze.

Ok How much clearance is there now? It looks like there is a gap but hard to tell how wide it is from the picture.
If you're lucky and it's a 2.5" gap you can just remove the 1/2" of sheetrock and replace it with cement board then you have the required 3" and it's just a matter of getting the heat shield in there. Since you'll probably have to remove exterior siding anyway for access I would just replace the framing of that bumpout with metal studs at the same time.

Attachments

• pdf_Clearances.pdf
    653.7 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: bholler
So you will be burning with it, now? Have you got firewood? Do you know how to burn wood in a Masonry Heater? Are you going to put that oven to use?

In the end, we changed insurers...
So your ignoring the fact that it doesn't meet minimum Clearance requirements required for safety by the manufacturer??

So you will be burning with it, now? Have you got firewood? Do you know how to burn wood in a Masonry Heater? Are you going to put that oven to use?
We are going to use it, yes. We have firewood. No I dont know how to use this thing, I need to work all that out!

So your ignoring the fact that it doesn't meet minimum Clearance requirements required for safety by the manufacturer??
We had two inspectors come in and tell us that this doesnt meet current code, but is totally safe and does meet the manufacturer requirements. The manufacturer wants 8 inches from the firebox (which we more than have). Code called for 8 inches of clearance around the entire unit from where the stone ends, and that applies to all wood stoves. There is a difference to a unit with very little or no soapstone insulation and one with lots like ours. But the code doesnt differentiate between those. Both inspectors told us that this was installed at the time to European standards (Finnish is 3" and Swiss can in fact be right against the wall when there is as much soapstone as here, provided the drywall is non combustible drywall, which is what we have around the fireplace, plus steel studs rather than wood studs). I would never use this if I did not believe it to be safe, and the previous owner used this heavily without issue for many years. That, combined with two inspectors telling me that it is safe, makes me believe that it is.

Reactions: yooperdave and Todd
If the wall behind it is constructed with steel studs and clad with a non-combustible surface then it sounds like there are no combustibles to have clearance concerns until the sheathing on the house on the backside of the metal studding. Is that correct?

Reactions: SpaceBus
If the wall behind it is constructed with steel studs and clad with a non-combustible surface then it sounds like there are no combustibles to have clearance concerns until the sheathing on the house on the backside of the metal studding. Is that correct?
correct, but the code people do not see it that way. They say "clearance = air only". Fair enough, it doesnt meet current code, according to some guy. I can sleep at night knowing that.

correct, but the code people do not see it that way. They say "clearance = air only". Fair enough, it doesnt meet current code, according to some guy. I can sleep at night knowing that.
And you have talked to the manufacturer about this? They are really the only one that knows