Faint Smell of Smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Icemanxxxv

Oct 20, 2014
Smithville MO USA
The stove is a Harnan Accentra professionally installed insert. It has been running since Friday the 3rd of February. Not sure if this is abnormal but I sense a slight smell of smoke while stove is running. No sign of visible smoke just a slight smell in the room. Normal or not?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

CO detectors in place?

Could the smell still be part of the "curing" of the paint?

Flash light in the dark is the best way to visibly detect smoke. May want to rule out gaskets first ... dollar bill test. Bill or similar paper closed in door/ash pan/hopper as appropriate. If bill pulls out easily, gaskets need to be replaced. Smoke from incense stick or BBQ lighter flame will get pulled towards the door if there is a significant leak.

Did you get the rail system for the insert? May want to pull it out to confirm connections and venting is intact. Did it get installed with a plate and sealed? Liner runs entire length of chimney? Outside Air Kit installed(OAK)?

No CO detector yet. The paint cure was obvious for the first few hours but that has subsided. I have scraped the burn pot a few times and am wondering if the smell is just from that process. there is no smoke at all in the room. The insert is installed in a zero clearance cabinet. with a fresh air inlet. Not saying there is a heavy smell of smoke just a faint odor like a fireplace that has had fire in it in the past. More of a stale smell of smoke.

Was the fireplace and chimney cleaned really well before installation?

Good to hear! Some folks have negative pressure issues that draws the smell from brick fireplace so that was where my mind went ....