Fair price for an install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Richard Pryor

Mar 6, 2017
Oregon
9 ft ceiling with 7/12 pitch. Stove will be in a corner and will need a 45 elbow at some point to avoid the valley on the roof. I believe it extends about 6ft on the outside.

This guy first said 800-1200 then said 1500. That is including pipe. I called a store and they wanted $2100.

Can my roofer, who is very handy, install the pipe? He does everything from framing houses to siding to roofing. If so, how much would pipe cost?

I’m willing to give this guy $300 for the install but that’s about it. It’ll only take a few hours right?

Richard, I loved your concert "Live on the Sunset Strip." Haven't heard from you in a while what have you been up to?

9 ft ceiling with 7/12 pitch. Stove will be in a corner and will need a 45 elbow at some point to avoid the valley on the roof. I believe it extends about 6ft on the outside.

This guy first said 800-1200 then said 1500. That is including pipe. I called a store and they wanted $2100.

Can my roofer, who is very handy, install the pipe? He does everything from framing houses to siding to roofing. If so, how much would pipe cost?

I’m willing to give this guy $300 for the install but that’s about it. It’ll only take a few hours right?
300 would barely cover my costs. Leaving no profit at all

Reactions: jotulguy
This is infrastructure, it's got to be installed correctly. The store estimate sounds about right if it is including quality stove and chimney pipe. Why go cheap on a $2500 stove that will have a raging fire inside? Do it right and sleep peacefully at night.

The 2100 was for pipe and install, not stove. That’s outrageous!

He wants $1500 for install and pipe. It’s about a 3-4 hour job correct? So $100 per hour isn’t a crazy amount of money to pay a guy that’s putting pipe together?

He wants $1500 for install and pipe. It’s about a 3-4 hour job correct? So $100 per hour isn’t a crazy amount of money to pay a guy that’s putting pipe together?
There's a hellovalot more than, just putting pipe together, to do a proper install !!

Yes, I understood that and the price may not be outrageous depending on the installation. Chimney pipe is expensive, especially quality pipe. It might take 3-4 hrs but probably for 2 people on the job. What is important here is safety. That means using the right parts, satisfying code, knowing the right options and putting in a trouble (and leak) free installation that will work well for years. Can it be done for less. Yes, maybe? It's not rocket science, but you want to be sure the installer knows what he's doing and is detail oriented. Plan on around $1200 in parts. Maybe more if the offset is complicated.

What's missing here is that one is not just paying labor. The store has insurance, benefits, vehicle, stocking and facility costs too.

$2100 is by no means out of line for an install using high quality pipe.

It is a very good pipe and used extensively in the industry.
Do they still use 430 inner wall. If they changed that it would change my opinion of theiir pipe.

Stove shop is probably a better deal it looks to me. I’m betting they are using premium pipe and would be more apt to stand behind their work. They should know codes and follow all clearances. They should also be insured for that type of work. Of course you could do it yourself and see if you think $300 is good pay for the job.

Reactions: Big Fire
What is class a chimney? You mean pipe? Which brand? @Mnpellet
You're pissing and moaning about the price and you don't even have a clue what is being installed or what is being quoted to you? There's a big difference between chimney and stovepipe not to mention all the components that make up the install. 2100 bucks sounds pretty cheap to me for the entire install including materials even if it isn't the gold standard for "pipe". You could always get out there and do it yourself.

so, to make you feel better about your costs, by the time i was done purchasing my BK, getting a hearth pad installed, and having the whole system set up/installed by a WETT certified tech i was about 10 grand Canadian into my stove. now, i live in a tiny town where there's nobody who's WETT certified but 2 guys - closest big town is 2.5hrs away, so then you're paying travel costs - so the local guys can charge whatever they want, and they do. i didn't enjoy the experience, and they were jabbers, but to me i wanted the stove and was willing to pay for it. i expect that withing 5-6 years my install has paid for itself in LP costs savings.

so, decide if you want the stove bad enough, and if you do, then eat the costs of getting it done right the first time. :)

[QUOTE="MissMac,

so, decide if you want the stove bad enough, and if you do, then eat the costs of getting it done right the first time. :)[/QUOTE]
Its always cheaper to do it right the first time than it is to half-ass the job a second time .

Reactions: MissMac
Do they still use 430 inner wall. If they changed that it would change my opinion of theiir pipe.
That's a single data point. DuraTech uses a notably thicker .020 stainless 430 by choice, vs the more common .016 thickness found in other premium pipe. They say that this is because 430 expands less under heat. But in coal country I could see 316 being a sales bullet point. I like that DuraTech is available in 9" and 60" lengths and has more support box sizes. And I like that DuraTech's insulation blanket is sealed. This is not knock Excel and Ventis, they are good chimney pipes, but Olympia chimney products are rare in the west. It seems to be primarily a mid-Atlantic product. I suspect this is due to shipping costs and minimal coal installations out here. For premium installs we occasionally see Excel. It's been several years ago, but when I checked around to all the major installers only 1 out of all I called installed Excel, the rest were DuraTech and some Selkirk.

Last edited: