Fair price for an install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Installed a Ventis myself, 19 ft of triple wall, telescoping double wall black pipe, ceiling box, attic insulation baffle, high quality SS flashing boot on the roof, cap, other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. That was around $1650 in materials 3 years ago.

If I installed chimneys for a living and someone wanted me to do it for $300 because it was easy I'd laugh and tell em to have fun.

That's a single data point. DuraTech uses a notably thicker .020 stainless 430 by choice, vs the more common .016 thickness found in other premium pipe. They say that this is because 430 expands less under heat. But in coal country I could see 316 being a sales bullet point. I like that DuraTech is available in 9" and 60" lengths and has more support box sizes. And I like that DuraTech's insulation blanket is sealed. This is not knock Excel and Ventis, they are good chimney pipes, but Olympia chimney products are rare in the west. It seems to be primarily a mid-Atlantic product. I suspect this is due to shipping costs and minimal coal installations out here. For premium installs we occasionally see Excel. It's been several years ago, but when I checked around to all the major installers only 1 out of all I called installed Excel, the rest were DuraTech and some Selkirk.
Yes it is a single data point. But it is the point of the pie that is directly exposed tthe flue gas and no other manufacturer uses the cheaper 430 alloy for the inner wall. Most use it on the exterior and we see that pinhole after years of use. I just am not comfortable installing chimneys using that inside.

Btw we use ventis 304 inner 430 outer for wood. 316 inner 430 outer for oil and gas and 316 inner and outer for coal

Blaze king princess with fan, Chimney liner, Chimney cap plus install was $4100 for me

There's a wide range of install conditions out there too. To me, a 7/12 pitch & stick handling around a valley indicate possible difficulties on their own.

He said he’s using Duratech not duravent. Is that a good brand or should I ask for excell or vent is @bholler @begreen
Duratech is a line in the duravent brand.

Like I said it is fine at 1500 the price sounds right for duratech. You can ask for Excell or ventis but your not going to get it for 1500

He said he’s using Duratech not duravent. Is that a good brand or should I ask for excell or vent is @bholler @begreen
DuraVent is the company. DuraTech is their high-end brand chimney pipe. It's good chimney and what we have in our house.

Yes it is a single data point. But it is the point of the pie that is directly exposed tthe flue gas and no other manufacturer uses the cheaper 430 alloy for the inner wall. Most use it on the exterior and we see that pinhole after years of use. I just am not comfortable installing chimneys using that inside.

Btw we use ventis 304 inner 430 outer for wood. 316 inner 430 outer for oil and gas and 316 inner and outer for coal
12 yrs in and no pinholes showing yet on our install. Pipe looks great. But then again it never has seen coal.

Last edited:
12 yrs in and no pinholes showing yet on our install. But then again it never has seen coal.
Most here don't see coal either. If they do and are not 316 they will likely not last 10 years many bad in 5.

Most here don't see coal either. If they do and are not 316 they will likely not last 10 years many bad in 5.
We're definitely not seeing this here. I know of lots of these installations. But that is coal. @webby3650 have you seen any issues?

We're definitely not seeing this here. I know of lots of these installations. But that is coal. @webby3650 have you seen any issues?
I can’t even put a number on the amount of dura-tech chimney systems we have in the field, 200+? Probably more. I’ve never ever seen an single issue with a piece of dura-tech failing.
That being said, problems with modern class
a parts failing are slim. The standards today are set so high I think it has greatly increased quality.

I can’t even put a number on the amount of dura-tech chimney systems we have in the field, 200+? Probably more. I’ve never ever seen an single issue with a piece of dura-tech failing.
You haven't been doing it long enough then. Everything fails they only have a projected lifespan of 25 years or so. We change out 10 or 15 old systems a year that are worn out.

You haven't been doing it long enough then. Everything fails they only have a projected lifespan of 25 years or so. We change out 10 or 15 old systems a year that are worn out.
Like I said, modern class A pipe. Like dura-tech that was mentioned.

Like I said, modern class A pipe. Like dura-tech that was mentioned.
You added that after I replied to your post. And we see at least one or two modern ones failed a year. Not from coal. Many more from coal.

I have seen failed ventis Excell dura Selkirk etc. It all will fail if abused

You added that after I replied to your post. And we see at least one or two modern ones failed a year. Not from coal. Many more from coal.
You must live in some crazy chimney vortex failure zone. You’ve seen more chimneys and liners fail than anyone on earth! Good lord, new chimney failing under normal conditions? Liners burning through? It’s really weird.

You must live in some crazy chimney vortex failure zone. You’ve seen more chimneys and liners fail than anyone on earth! Good lord, new chimney failing under normal conditions? Liners burning through? It’s really weird.
From talking to other sweeps across the country at the conventions my experiences are pretty average.

12 yrs in and no pinholes showing yet on our install. Pipe looks great. But then again it never has seen coal.
You won’t anytime soon either Begreen, burn on! We’ve got old systems out there that get used hard, no signs of failure. We replace a lot of old systems, rarely ever any double wall class A, unless it was severely abused.

You won’t anytime soon either Begreen, burn on! We’ve got old systems out there that get used hard, no signs of failure. We replace a lot of old systems, rarely ever any double wall class A, unless it was severely abused.
We don't see much chimney pipe other than double wall class a used for stoves. That is what we are replacing now.

At 12 years I would not expect any problems either. But we start scanning them looking for damage at 15 years. Rarley find any problems till 20 years