Fairly full ash pan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has more to do with noncombustibles in the brand of pellets you are burning.

I have been burning about 6 to 7 bags a week of Clean Burn and Olympus pellets and have to clean my stove once a week to clean out ash. I bought a couple of bags of Presto log pellets and the burn pot filled up with ash after burning one bag. I went back to burning Clean Burn and the ash build up went right back to once a week cleanings.

Dave

actually, the ash pan can become overfilled and spill over, ending up with ash in the pipe, etc......why wait? just empty it at 3/4 full or so.....

actually, the ash pan can become overfilled and spill over, ending up with ash in the pipe, etc......why wait? just empty it at 3/4 full or so.....
Exactly what I do. I empty the ash pan during my one ton cleanings. I tend to do one ton cleanings every 40 bags though.

But to answer the OP's question.... No. The amount of ash in the ash pan does not mess with the correct airflow. BUT if the ash is overflowing and blocking the airflow passage in some way then obviously that would.

Does a fairly full ash pan mess with the correct air flow?

Depends on the stove. On my Fahrenheit, where the exhaust port is right behind the pan (like a Harman, kinda) it does effect it. But my Quad? It can be stacked 10 inches above the pan and will not effect it.

All depends on how your exhaust path is set up......

yea, with the Harmans, Ive seen the overflow ash get sucked past the combustion fan and into the flue/pipe, causing exit airflow issues and airflow issues around he ESP....as you know, your ESP is integral in how your stove operates.......many folks who THINK they have clean stoves really dont.........

Status
Not open for further replies.