Fake logs in a Quadra Fire Santa Fe Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ControlFreak

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 15, 2008
Holden, MA
Hi,

I have a used Quadra Fire Santa Fe pellet stove that I'm checking out for a friend. The stove did not include the fake logs that are shown in the user manual. Are these logs simply cosmetic, or are they also serving as a refractory to improve combustion efficiency?

Thanks,

Dan

cosmetic only.

Seems like these would make maintenance a pain. I have also heard that they are very prone to breakage.

I have a santafe and the wife wanted the fake logs, no top twig. they have gone through a year and half burning with no issues. I actually like the look. As for maintenance all I do different is i use a paint brush to sweep off the ash then I take them out and sweep the insides down the trap. It does not really add anymore time or work. The other complaint I have heard is that it disrupts the airwash on the glass. I have not notice any difference in the pattern of buildup on the glass burning with and without the fake logs.

I got the stove running without the fake logs. After seeing it operate, I can see that the logs would do nothing other than perhaps look nice and get in the way a bit while cleaning things out. Thanks for your feedback. I have many years of experience heating with cordwood, so a pellet stove is a completely different animal to me.

It seems pretty of handy actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.