Fall Colors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We took a walk up the trail on Mt. Arab and took some pictures, it was beautiful at the top and the colors were great, it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. I don't think the camera captured the true colors.

http://tupperlake.net/MtArab.htm

zap

Attachments

• 100_1513.jpg
    100_1513.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 277
  • 100_1515.jpg
    100_1515.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 290
  • 100_1517.jpg
    100_1517.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 285
  • 100_1531.jpg
    100_1531.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 286
  • 100_1532.jpg
    100_1532.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 100_1512.jpg
    100_1512.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 288
  • 100_1523.jpg
    100_1523.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 289
  • 100_1524.jpg
    100_1524.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 275
wood spliter said:
that looks awesome also Zap. I look forward to hunting in the mountain's this fall. Its just something great being out there. Hope you guys had a great hike.

It was perfect wood spliter, we were the only ones up there for over one hour. We had some snacks with coffee, water and just sat around and enjoyed the view, the only noise we heard was one gun shot off in the distance then just quiet the rest of the time.

When we went back down we met three different groups coming up.

zap

Great pictures Zap

I wish I had one of those fire towers so I could put it up on my place for a lookout point!

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Great pictures Zap

I wish I had one of those fire towers so I could put it up on my place for a lookout point!

Billy

Billy time to get the tools out and build one!

zap

I'm thinking about it Zap

I have some 5'wide 20' tall pallet racks but thats not the look I want. And I have to come up with some way to drill into the limestone ledge for anchor bolts. But looking for one for sale I came across this really cool fire tower home and I may build something like it for the farm but use logs on the bottom rather than stone.

http://www.prairiewindarch.com/award.html

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Great pictures Zap

Billy

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/09/putting-retired-fire-towers-nc-back-work

Here's a guy that sells them.

Published on HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com (http://hamptonroads.com)
Putting retired fire towers from N.C. back to work

CAMDEN COUNTY, N.C.

Strapped near the top of a 120-foot fire tower in Camden County, David Vana and Mark Jones resembled high wire performers as they deftly zipped out bolts with power drills.

Although the weather was clear, the wind was gusting to 20 miles per hour, making the job of dismantling the obsolete tower dangerous even with safety harnesses.

A tall crane with a boom and cable held in place the tower cabin and upper framework.

Vana yelled down to the crane operator that all bolts were out. With a bit of clanging as metal hit metal, the crane operator slowly lifted the upper section free, then lowered it to the ground. The hardest and most dangerous part was done.

Vana buys, restores and sells fire towers, the lookout posts erected all over the nation where rangers watched for smoke in the distance. Vana, of Bloomingdale, N.Y., is the owner of Davanna LLC. He just purchased the 42-year-old Camden County tower for $511.99, about $4.27 a foot. He already has a buyer, he said.

"This one is in remarkably good condition," Vana said. "It's young."

North Carolina began putting up fire towers in the early 1900s and once had 130 towers in use statewide, said Brian Haines, spokesman for the North Carolina Division of Forest Resources.

About 100 are still standing, and Haines estimated that only two are still in use. The Camden fire tower has not been used since the early 1990s, said Steve Sutton, state forest ranger for Camden County.

With the advent of cell phones and 911 systems in the 1990s, people were reporting fires quicker than a ranger in a tower could spot them, Sutton said.

But up to the 1980s, fire towers were needed in rural areas, said Dan McCarthy, a forest ranger in Currituck County.

"It was the way to spot a fire then," McCarthy said. "On a hot, dry day like this one, we would have somebody up that tower."

Lois Walston worked part-time as a smoke spotter in Camden County in the 1970s. Her husband, Charles Walston, retired a few years ago as a ranger. She would climb the 156 steps to the 6-foot-by-6-foot cabin at 10 a.m. and remain there through the day, except for a couple of breaks.

The crucial lookout time was mid-afternoon, when temperatures are highest. During one hot, dry spell, Walston had to work 16 straight days, she said.

"I really enjoyed the job," she said. "It was pretty up there a lot of the afternoons."

Fire towers have a passionate following, including the Forest Fire Lookout Association, which tr ies to keep track of the approximately 2,000 towers still standing nationwide, said association Chairman Keith Argow, a retired forest ranger based in Vienna, Va. There are chapters in all 50 states and in several foreign countries.

At 120 feet to the base of the cabin, the Camden tower is among the tallest in the country, he said.

"They are a symbol of forest conservation akin to Smokey Bear," Argow said.

Fire towers were erected many miles apart. If a spotter saw smoke, he or she would call one of the other nearest spotters on the radio.

Using a mounted compass the size of a dinner plate, they would each get a bearing on the smoke plume. On a map, they would intersect their bearings. A call would go out to the rangers with a location that would get them within a few hundred yards of the fire.

By Wednesday, Vana, Jones and Bill Divers had the 15-ton Camden tower in sections on the ground for disassembly, removing about 1,000 bolts total.

Vana, 59, began this venture five years ago following years working as a dispatcher for forest rangers and wildlife officers.

"My friends said, 'Y ou've got to be nuts to buy fire towers,' " he said.

He ignored them and invested his money and time in the business anyway. He has sold towers to local governments for educational purposes, to private landowners who want a view of their estates, to a developer who wants clients to have a panoramic look at the property, and in one case to a group that wants to use a tower to build a zip line.

He sold 93 feet of the Camden tower to a private buyer in Pennsylvania.

The upper section, including the cabin, will go to Vana's property for now.

"I like stuff a little off the straight and narrow," he said. "It's not a job to me - it's fun."

Jeff Hampton, (252) 338-0159, [email protected]

Thanks Panhandler

I'll have to look at that when I get back from the farm. It would be nice to find something 40-50' tall.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.