Falling "grit" in our chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mottman

Hearth Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
NE Connecticut
We have a Vermont Castings Encore 2550 wood stove (Catalytic). It's been running fine since we first fired it up about a month ago, but today we heard what sounds like falling "bits" in the flue. It's not constant, it just happens every great once in a while. We just looked in fireplace itself (our stove sits in front of an old fireplace and the flue pipe runs up the chimney) and we've seen little bits of "grit" there that we don't remember being there before.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this all of a sudden? We've been using this stove for 3 winters now and have never experienced anything like this before. Is there something wrong or could I somehow just have a critter stuck in there?

Thanks in advance.

What does the "grit" look like? Black flecks? If so, that is just normal creosote coming off. I hear it in mine, usually when I stoke the fire up and the sudden heat starts to dry up the creosote that might have formed. That's my theory anyway.

The stuff we can see is basically black and grey grit plus there are what appear to be a few little pieces of masonry.

However, I wouldn't think It's creosote. We just had the chimney cleaned before we started firing it up this season. However it all does look like the stuff that came down when they cleaned it. If it is creosote I just find it odd that it waited a month to start falling and that we've heard it several times today. In fact, it just did it (just a little bit) while I was typing that last sentence. It almost sounds like a crackling but I'm sure it's just stuff falling.

It is the coldest day of the year so far, could that have anything to do with it?

I hope it isn't masonary, that could be dangerous. Better drop a trouble light down that chimney once everything cools completely.

What is the chimney made of? Masonry? - If so is it clay tile lined? Do you have a stainless liner?

If it's masonry, I'd agree that it might be worth checking out if you think you see bits of masonry in the stuff that came down.

If it's got a stainless liner, or its a "Class A" metal chimney, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Either way it's probably creosote, but it never hurts to make sure a masonry chimney is OK. (Note, I'm not sure I'd risk a snowy or icy roof to check out a chimney in a case like this, it doesn't sound THAT suspicious...)

Gooserider

I'm not sure if I'm even close...ICE? or ice and water attacking a mortar joint or block? When the stove gets rippen everything melst and lets go of the grit...then as things cool down the freeze action deteriorates it a bit more ... heate uo again and more grit???

Garett

When I ran my old cat stove I would get some creosote built up and then it would dry out and fall down. It was an odd sound. When I'd pull my stove pipe I'd see dried creosote that separated from the stove pipe. When this cold weather passes, pull your pipe and check to see if this was the case.

I bet with the cold weather you really had the stove going. Did you change your burn patterns?

Matt

Another option that MIGHT save some money is to collect a good sample of the fallen "grit" and take it to a stove shop or other place with appropriate expertise and see if they can comment on it - if they say it's all creosote, it might not be worth paying to have a sweep come out and examine it (at least not until a normally scheduled cleaning - you do get swept at least once a year, don't you?)

Gooserider

is your wood supply good and dry?

this is why I ask:

last year, late in the season, I was running low, so bought 2 ricks from a guy, it was GREEN, and hard to burn, and after burning with it, I could hear stuff falling in my chimney, and it would come and go with the heating and cooling cycles.

had to clean that flu liner about every 2 weeks with that wood.

just another possible scenario!

Mottman said:
We have a Vermont Castings Encore 2550 wood stove (Catalytic). It's been running fine since we first fired it up about a month ago, but today we heard what sounds like falling "bits" in the flue. It's not constant, it just happens every great once in a while. We just looked in fireplace itself (our stove sits in front of an old fireplace and the flue pipe runs up the chimney) and we've seen little bits of "grit" there that we don't remember being there before.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this all of a sudden? We've been using this stove for 3 winters now and have never experienced anything like this before. Is there something wrong or could I somehow just have a critter stuck in there?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.