fan - electric usage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Caste

Sep 15, 2008
Northern NV
Still researching the idea of purchasing/using a stove for next year. How can I find out (caluclate) how much electricity my box fan uses if I intend to use it to circulate heat through the house? I have a 1900sf ranch style house and will need to get heat to bedroom end of the house. My purpose is trying to keeping heating costs down so just wondering if burning wood would save $ or not if I have to run the fan all day/night. During the weekends, I've been burning my fireplace and using the fan. It does a good job of keeping the house at 65 (got to the teens last night).

Buy a Kill-A-Watt and measure it. I have a whole house power cost monitor hooked up to my meter, but it's a PITA to turn off everything that is variable to calculate individual consumption.

One good thing with a fan is that it is 100% efficient. All of the energy it consumes turns to heat.

It will have a tag on it somewhere, stating how many watts it draws.
Say 100 watts, and you pay 10 cents a kilowatt. (fiction, I know)
Running it 10 hours cost you a dime.

Status
Not open for further replies.