Fan On Wood Burning Insert Blowing Out Black "Shavings"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avsmusic1

Burning Hunk
Jul 26, 2012
CT
I'm hoping the experts can help me figure out what's going on with my Regency I2400. I had it installed this spring and just started burning it the past month. I did the break-in burns and have just started to burn med-large fires as the nights here have gotten into the 40s. Anyway, I'm burning a fire now and noticed there were little black shavings coming out of the blower. They are cylindrical looking and don't appear to be "ash," but I have no idea what they are and I'm assuming it's not a good thing. I opened up the air all the way and it has slowed it down considerably. Did I choke it down too early and damage something? Is this just a part of breaking in? Hopefully someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance

Something related to the bearings on the blower. There should be no ash. The fan and the air it pushes does not enter the firebox. Is the blower loud? Maybe some compressed air to clean out the fan.

I put some onto a white piece of paper to give everyone a better sense for what we're talking about here

Attachments

• Stove Blower Shavings.jpg
    Stove Blower Shavings.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 129
That looks like some paint is coming off probably from inside the blower. Have you opened it up to see is something got caught in there and rubs off the paint? Other option is it was not applied properly in the factory. FWIW, your stove should be fine but I would keep the blower off until you have figured out what is going on.

Reactions: Dakotas Dad
Could it be plastic flash from the birdcage fans? How does the fan look?

Status
Not open for further replies.