Fan or no Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fan or no Fan

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

snavematt

Sep 7, 2016
Virginia
So we will be upgrading our old stove, its looking more and more like the Explorer II. The room it will go in is vaulted ceiling 15x20, also open to kitchen, dining room and the foyer (see picture) We do have a ceiling fan that is always in use. The question is, would a fan kit for the Explorer really do anything in this set up? Since I can always add it later, hold off on fan assembly and see how it does with out it?

(note, the existing stove and surrounding brick will be removed, the new stove will be in the same place minus brick surround)

Thanks

family room.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's going to be recessed, definitely get the blower. If removing that surround leaves you with a hearth for a free-standing stove, the blower is less important, but should still help your efficiency a bit.

Reactions: Sprinter
Mine is a free-standing stove and I don't use a blower. But as far as I know, nearly any insert will need a blower to get that heated air back out into the room and have a chance to circulate. I'm sure you'll get other advice, but if this stays an insert installation, you should have a blower.

With a freestanding stove with good air circulation all around, then it depends on whether you prefer the radiant feel or moving air. And that seems to be pretty subjective. We don't have a blower kit on our stove (PE Super 27) but sometimes we will put a table fan on one side blowing across the top. That will tend to warm the air better, but with less of the radiant feel. If this will be freestanding stove, I'd suggest trying no fan first. If you want to experiment with a fan, try what we do, mostly to dry clothes on a rack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.