Fan speed controls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Been snooping around and spoke with engineering at infitec this morning.

I was looking at there PCSL-5-B PHASE/SPEED CONTROLLERS

These little modules are perfect for pellet stove blowers.

This couples into the 120v line to the fan motor and can be regulated by a 1 megohm potentiometer.

2"x2" foot print with a single #10 screw to mount it

Simple 4 pin spade connection.

Snowy

About $24
I am going to start working on another controller for our big stove (U[P DATED VERSION) and the normal fan speed controllers have a knob on them and can be switched off completely, which I do not want available.

I want to be able to tie the heat control rotary switch into the fan speed control.

This unit will allow me to wire in a choice of resistors to the speed controller and have the room air fan speed where I want it.

Currently our large Whit (Advantage 2T) is running at about 90% of full speed.

The factory board had issues with the triac and I set up a regular speed control and just set it at one spot.

We use one feed setting of 2 sec on 8 sec off, and with the fan where it is, the heat output is just toasty.

The new control will have a choice of 3 heat settings, as well as 3 fixed fan speeds.

The current feed of 8 seconds is OK, but at times a bit hot.

Looking to get a spread of 10- 8- 5 with the fan on high at 5 and then slightly slower on the lower settings.

The old control (Factory) would cause the fan to get a bad case of the WHA WHA'S at times.
This was no doubt due to the triac going south and the wave form on the power feed was not even.

At times is would just drive us nuts with it's whine, so that was when the control got replaced.

The infitec control is supposed to be very clean and afford good smooth control.

They have another unit but it requires a pot and uses all three terminals, and does not lend itself to what I want to do as well.

All cool stuff.

My goal is to get both stoves using controls that have the same base components, and then I can have spare parts that are fully plug and play.

These would be the same timers, and fan controls.

There would be a few things like snap switches and such that are going to be different, but the basic building blocks will be the same.

Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen, on a cold winters night, if something dies, I can fix it quick.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.