Fans to move air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muskiediver

Feb 20, 2011
Michigan
I have a mobile home that needs air moved from the very front living room to the very back room. I am thinking of cutting a hole in the wall and putting something like a vorando fan it it to push the air down the hall.

Any thoughts on this? Such as placement of fan? Behind my Jotul 12 wood stove or?

Also open to suggestion on fans?

I have a mobile home that needs air moved from the very front living room to the very back room. I am thinking of cutting a hole in the wall and putting something like a vorando fan it it to push the air down the hall.

Any thoughts on this? Such as placement of fan? Behind my Jotul 12 wood stove or?

Also open to suggestion on fans?

Search on this site for threads on this topic, using keywords such as "fans", "moving air", etc. Short answer: don't cut a hole in the wall until you have placed a cheap ($15) box fan on the floor in the doorway to the area of the house which needs warm air. Blow the cold air into the room with the stove, not the other way around. Trying to blow warm air at the ceiling into the cold part of the house will not work as well.

Dan's right. There are tons of threads on this topic and moving cold air toward your stove is much easier and it will force warm air to replace the cold air you have pushed out. The most you can expect is a modest increase in temperature over a longer distance and remember that anytime air is blowing, the body will feel cooler because of the air blowing on the skin causing evaporation.

For more even heat in the house put a directional table or box fan at the far end of the hallway, placed on the floor, pointing toward the woodstove. Run it on low speed. It will blow the cooler air down low, toward the woodstove. The denser cool air will be replaced with lighter warm air from the stove room. Running this way you should notice at least a 5F increase in the hallway temp after about 30 minutes running.

What they said !

Do you have a ceiling fan? Near the stove? Pushing the warm air from the ceiling down, will also help.

Welcome to the forums !

As one of the guys with an old mobile home, I'm in agreement with the" fan pushing cold air from the back of the shack" group. I will say you'll never get the back room to have the same temp as the stove room though, but it will be comfy. It doesn't seem like it should work, or make sense, but it does.

When I turn on a fan at the back of my place, and push cold air towards the stove room, there is an almost immediate draft in my face, and it's warm air coming towards me. You can check this fact with a lighter, cigarette smoke, etc.

So what I am gathering here:

My mobile home has the living room in the front. That is where the fireplace is. So your saying place my fan way in the back hall where my room is. And blow towards the front? Even though my fireplace is around a wall? And also put a ceiling fan in to push the airt down in the living room? Should I draw and image to help?

I greatlfully thank all of you for your responses.

Yes, put a fan at the back (doesn't have to be at the back wall) mine is 12 feet from the back, and have it facing/blowing down the hall towards the rest of the trailer/stove room. It won't matter if your stove is around a corner, as it's the cool dense air rolling in that replaces the warm stove air.

The cold air rolls in at floor level (in stove room), and the warmer air gets disrupted or displaced, and goes towards the back down the hall, anywhere from belly button to ceiling level. Like I said, it doesn't seem like it should make sense, but it does.:)

Yes, put a fan at the back (doesn't have to be at the back wall) mine is 12 feet from the back, and have it facing/blowing down the hall towards the rest of the trailer/stove room. It won't matter if your stove is around a corner, as it's the cool dense air rolling in that replaces the warm stove air.

The cold air rolls in at floor level (in stove room), and the warmer air gets disrupted or displaced, and goes towards the back down the hall, anywhere from belly button to ceiling level. Like I said, it doesn't seem like it should make sense, but it does.:)

I like it. And then a round fan on the celing of the room with the stove? Do I need something like a voronado fan that blows 100 feet or just any fan?

We don't have a ceiling fan, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. I just kick the oil furnace fan for about a minute, and all the air in the warm room seems to mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.