Farewell loyal P38, hello.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P38X2

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2012
Jaffrey, NH
...P68 ::-) My P38 had no problems heating my house....until a short lived, double digit sub zero cold snap came last winter. Temp went from an easy to maintain 70-72 down to 66 in a relatively short time. Could've used oil to supplement the stove but I decided to let the stove chug it out. Like I said, it was a short cold spell and all was well after that...kind of. I'd be lying if I said it didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth.

A couple weeks ago, a relative mentioned needing a new stove to replace his 17 year old St. Croix Afton Bay. We agreed on a price and off went the P38.

I initially was going to buy a P61 due to "significantly" shorter brochure listed height, compared to the P68. When I went to my dealer and looked at em side by side, there wasn't the claimed 4 or so inch height difference. It was more like 1". The brochure listed height of almost 40" is incorrect. I figured go big or go home so i went with the P68. Installation was a direct swap once I removed the redundant hearth pad I used for the P38. Getting it in the house still in the box was interesting. Actually it sucked.

I fired her up for the always noisy paint curing session and wasn't disappointed. Alarms every 3 min for an hour or so. Ya, with the windows open and fans going. The build date on the stove is from late Aug and the box and manual both had a sticker on them that said "New Paint 258H",
whatever that means. Maybe it's Harman's high burnoff smoke formula.

The combustion motor is MUCH quieter than the 38 was, leading me to think the 38's motor was getting a little flaky, or more likely, the fan needed a detail cleaning or replacing. The noise the 38 made, to me, sounded like an unbalanced fan. Anyway, I love the fact this one is quieter. The distribution air noise is quite a bit louder, but not obnoxious. The stove's outlets are a diff shape than on a P38, though I'm not sure that's the reason for the increased dB. The distribution motor used on the 68 is no longer made by Dayton, or so I was told. I know the Dayton sticker is no longer there. Perhaps the difference in sound is due to the motor, or possibly a slightly different fan design. If it is a different blower, I wonder if Harman changed it to eliminate customers taking the Grainger route. I love the increased glass/door size and the increased working area. The hopper capacity is another huge bonus. Also, the control panel being safely tucked behind the door is another very nice feature.

I'm 100% confident this stove will heat the house with plenty to spare. Of course, being a bit sick in the head, I'll miss that little P38 that worked so hard to keep my family warm.

Here's a pic of her with heat shelds, side anti-singe vase technology and front anti-sear finger guard in place. Kid friendly P68 ;)
IMG_20131017_171007.jpg

You got auto ignite now. Enjoy!

Reactions: P38X2
You got auto ignite now. Enjoy!
Lol, thanks, Bioburner. I'll still use the torch though ;) Probably should use it once to make sure it works.

I'm new to the pellet world, but have a new p68.

We have fired it up about 10 times to get the nip out. Within an hour we shut it off because it throws too much heat for this time of year. When It's single digits out and my 2400 sf house is in the 70's...PRICE LESS!!

Very nice stove! Be interested to hear how well it works for you. I'm quite sure youll love this one, especially in the single digit weather. Good luck.

Looks good! Should keep you toasty this year

What wenger said...where did you get that gate? I also like the look of it. I'm just not sure it would stay in place if my two year old got near it. One other question I have...do the heat shields get hot? I got used to being able to touch the top of my Accentra insert (which wasn't even warm to the touch) and then almost burned my damn hand off when I touched the top of my P68 :eek:

Thanks for the comments guys. The gate is an el cheapo HD fireplace screen. Think I paid around $30 for it. As soon as we get some coldish weather, I'll take some burn pix. So far, it's keeping my house warmer at idle than my P38 did at the same setting. I'm assuming both stoves idle burns are about the same 8k BTU. I gotta assume it's due to the increased radiant area. P38 kept the house at 70/67. The P68 keeps it at 74/70, same outside temps, same idle burn.

Using the same pellets, this one seems to like to crunch the pellets a bit more. Not sure why but no big deal. The inside of the hopper has a bit more over spray, or something, making the walls a bit more grippy. Maybe this has something to do with it. Rather than letting the pellets smooth it out, I'll prob give it a quick shot with a 3M pad. Maybe some dry moly spray.

HD doesn't have it on their website right now. I bought it in store. My daughter has been very good about staying away from the stove. She pulled the screen down on top of her once and just said "uh oh" lol. It's not heavy at all.

Forget touching the top of any P series stove. The heat shields do get hot when the stove is cranking and a child could get burned, but NOTHING compared to if they weren't there. I taught my daughter "hot" as soon as she started walking around. My oven door gets fairly warm to the touch, so one day I put my hand on it first and had her put her hand next to mine. She pulled her hand off and made the surprised "oh" face and I said "Hot!, no touchy!" Ever since, she's been great about not touching hot things and now points at the oven, stove etc and says "hot". Maybe I got lucky, but giving her that very SAFE lesson worked very well. Whenever she walks by the stove now, she says "hot!" and I say "good girl, hot!" I'll prob always keep the screen and vases in place. The vases and screen kinda dress the stove area up and the screen will protect her from burns and the somewhat dangerous front lip in the event of a fall.

Congrats on the new stove! Guess you gotta change your name here now ;)
Maybe P3/68........
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. I like that one but I'm thinking XP38X2 to keep it similar, yet accurate.

You already know this but you won't be getting the most out of that stove unless you use the auto ignite and possibly a 'stat......just sayin'

I hear ya. Im still in the "play with my new toy" mode. It's 55 and windy out, and now 76/73 in the house. A bit too warm for my liking. I really shouldn't have it on. I'll probably experiment with letting the stove do it's own thing in the next couple days.

Obviously, I won't be worrying about it in the winter months but I suspect I'll end up keeping it on manual and letting it idle during shoulder months, or else I'll end up with large temp swings upstairs. That's my theory anyway. If I lose a little $ in savings doing it that way, so be it.

Getting away from manual light has to be a good thing too. It`s a PIA having to light the P38 every morning and evening for an hour or so just to take the chill off in the shoulder seasons.
This will be my last winter , (6yrs) with the P-38. I`m gonna replace it next year with a stove that has auto start .

I hear ya, warm days and cold nights can be tough with a space heater. It's a BIG expense though. $450, say going from the 38 to a 43. Break it down into 100 lightings. $4.50 a light! There's a lot to be said for "set it and forget it" convenience, though.

Very nice upgrade! My neighbor uses a P68 to heat her 200 year old farm house. The thing is a powerhouse.

Nice buy! I have P61A and I have had it 7 yrs now and still go strong. It can really crank the heat out. You will have no problems keeping up next cold snap.

How is pellet consumption with this?
Haven't had her beyond an idle yet, with the exception of the paint curing session. My house is several degrees warmer than with my P38. It HAS to be due to the increased surface area of the stove. I'm almost positive the idle burn output is the same on all the P series. It doesn't seem to be using any more pellets than my 38 did with the same burn condition :)

It doesn't seem to be using any more pellets than my 38 did with the same burn condition :)
Once you get to the colder weather you'll notice the increase in pellet usage which is why you'll want to get the hang of using the room temp feature and the igniter......

Oh, it's always in room temp. Once it gets cooler, say 40 and below, it'll run 24/7 til springtime, so the igniter will be irrelevant. After cleaning shutdowns, it'll be lit with a torch, not out of some childish stubbornness, but because the AI takes so damn long compared to the torch.

No doubt it'll use more pellets than my P38 during sub zero temps, but I'm wondering if this stove is gonna use less pellets during "normal" winter temps because of the reason I listed in the last post.

Status
Not open for further replies.