Fat Wood starters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The manufacturer claims the product is extra-rosiny pine from hand selected artisinal stumps in nonrainforest areas of central america, but not any of those countries with mean dictators, and each one is hugged by a warm fuzzy puppy prior to being packaged, and so forth.

Based on that, I would say that their marketing department has been allowed to get out of hand and there's no telling what is in the product.

So- probably safe, but who knows. If you feel unsure, a handful of sticks remains a safe and effective firestarter. ;)

Or you could go with the hearth.com favorite . . . Super Cedars. If you're a newbie here you can even contact Super Cedar (an advertiser and long time supporter of hearth.com) for a free sample . . . just be forewarned . . . you may get hooked on those cedar hockey pucks.

Which reminds me . . . I need to place an order soon . . . pretty sure they're still giving us a discount on orders.

If the fatwood is just being used for starting - with the bypass open, then there should be no concern for harm to the cat. That said, one cat stove maker ships a SuperCedar with their stoves as the recommended starter.

If these are natural fatwood, no petroleum added, then I agree that they are fine.

I found some fatwood this summer that I hope to make firestarter sticks out of.

Attachments

• fatty.JPG
    fatty.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 124
If these are natural fatwood, no petroleum added, then I agree that they are fine.

I found some fatwood this summer that I hope to make firestarter sticks out of.
That stuff is glorious! Just ignore the black smoke..........Gotta go find me one of those trees soon!

Or you could go with the hearth.com favorite . . . Super Cedars. If you're a newbie here you can even contact Super Cedar (an advertiser and long time supporter of hearth.com) for a free sample . . . just be forewarned . . . you may get hooked on those cedar hockey pucks.

Which reminds me . . . I need to place an order soon . . . pretty sure they're still giving us a discount on orders.

www.hearth.com/talk/threads/super-cedar-40-discount-for-hearth-members.155618/

Status
Not open for further replies.