Fat wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StihlKicking

Feeling the Heat
Jan 12, 2016
Hatchie Bottom, MS
Found this today
38899ead1bdd6b3feb011d86b81af601.jpg
Turned it into this
5044ab29c3ebe4c288b5b7f4dbcaa297.jpg

Is it dry? If so how fast does it light?

Yes it is an old pine knot I found still standing. Short leaf pine to be specific. Dry, it lights instantly. Seriously, I'll try to post a video tomorrow. It's better than the store bought fat wood.

Reactions: Seanm
Very resourceful! I scrounged some fatwood from my inlaw's neighborhood last year. I've got a random stick of it under my bathroom sink waiting to be processed. The wife puts it back in every time she cleans. Probably TMI, but this reminded me I need to take care of that.==c<>

;lol is it dry, its usually found in the south and some of it drips turpentine and burns like kerosene.

I love Fatwood. I thought it was from the roots of pine.

I love Fatwood. I thought it was from the roots of pine.
You are not completely wrong, a lot of pine roots have these properties. The hearts of old growth southern pines like short and long leaf have these properties as well. Find the hearts standing dead and you strike gold!

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Status
Not open for further replies.