Favorite Blaze King colour?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cringer

Sep 15, 2018
Alberta
Greetings everyone,

This is my first time posting here, but I have spent months reading all of your experiences. By way of introduction, I puchased my great grandfather’s 20 acre homestead a couple years ago. We demolished the 100 year-old house :( and then moved a free house from kijiji onto a new ICF basement. It is a 910 square foot bungalow built in the 1950s. It is going to be a holliday spot for our family of six and then one day the mrs and i will retire out there (if she puts up with me that long). Having a wood burning stove is going to make this place perfect!

I have looked at, and eventually dismissed, a lot of amazing stoves because i was trying to find something that would allow an overnight burn, but also would not heat us out of this little house. The search eventually led me to Blaze King. I am very intrigued by the new Boxer 24, but in pictures it looks a little utilitarian (like a barbecue). While the Ashford 20 isn’t as pretty to my eye as something like a Jotul Castine in ivory, it looks good enough that I will be glad to have it in the room even when it’s not burning.

The problem is, none of the BK dealers around me actually have one in stock or on the showroom floor so I have never seen a BK in person :). Here in Alberta Canada I have the choice of two upgraded finshes over the regular cast black. I cant really tell from the photos, but many posts agree on how nice the brown enamel looks. The colonial pewter is cool because it’s something different, but I haven’t heard anyone’s experience with this finish.

If you were buying a new Ashford, what colour would you choose?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Chad

9EC36F18-804B-43B0-AEAD-1F29887CD429_zpsxqivqoit.jpg

Last edited:
The “metallic black” is good ol’ cast iron. No colour can be more classic. Enamel finish, OTOH is more classy. The wife wanted metallic black, I liked colonial pewter. Guess what we have in the sitting room, knowing that we’re still married.

Reactions: Ocduff and Cringer
The “metallic black” is good ol’ cast iron. No colour can be more classic. Enamel finish, OTOH is more classy. The wife wanted metallic black, I liked colonial pewter. Guess what we have in the sitting room, knowing that we’re still married.

She wanted metallic black, you wanted pewter - so you compromised... and got black. Smart man :)

The enamel finish will always look new, as long as no one hits it hard with the fire poker. The metallic can easily be touched up with a spray can. The pewter is neat, but I’m not sure it’s worth the extra money over metallic. Will this place be heated and cooled all year?

Reactions: Cringer
Please check whether the whole back half of the stove is just painted black for all color choices. I seem to recall this issue with several brands. Only pretty in the front.

The enamel finish will always look new, as long as no one hits it hard with the fire poker. The metallic can easily be touched up with a spray can. The pewter is neat, but I’m not sure it’s worth the extra money over metallic. Will this place be heated and cooled all year?

Good points. It has a natural gas furnace that will be turned on low when we are not using the place.

Please check whether the whole back half of the stove is just painted black for all color choices. I seem to recall this issue with several brands. Only pretty in the front.

Hi Highbeam, I have read a lot of your posts - I expected you to talk me into the Ashford 30 instead of the 20 (physical size of the room is the only reason for choosing the smaller one). It isn't written anywhere, but from looking at different photos it looks like back of the stove gets the same black colour for all the colour choices. That is something worth considering; the back of the stove already doesn't look great, the contrast with the pewter or enamel might make it stand out even more :(

Cheers

(the spot where I found photos that showed the back was in the 'brochure' on the BK website)

Last edited:
The Ashford has a lot junk in the trunk. All the sheet metal that hangs off behind the cast iron top will be painted black. Top front and sides will be finished differently.

Hi Highbeam, I have read a lot of your posts - I expected you to talk me into the Ashford 30 instead of the 20 (physical size of the room is the only reason for choosing the smaller one). It isn't written anywhere, but from looking at different photos it looks like back of the stove gets the same black colour for all the colour choices. That is something worth considering; the back of the stove already doesn't look great, the contrast with the pewter or enamel might make it stand out even more :(

Cheers

(the spot where I found photos that showed the back was in the 'brochure' on the BK website)
I can post a picture of the pewter Ashford 20 Monday if you’d like.

That’s the reason I ended up with a Jotul. It was literally in the middle of the room. No other manufacturer finishes all surfaces except Jotul and soapstone stoves.

I can post a picture of the pewter Ashford 20 Monday if you’d like.

That would be great. I have read a lot of your posts on BK, but I didn't realize you had an Ashford 20... and in the pewter! Would you have done anything differently? I have been told that pewter will cost $200 more.

Thanks webby!

That would be great. I have read a lot of your posts on BK, but I didn't realize you had an Ashford 20... and in the pewter! Would you have done anything differently? I have been told that pewter will cost $200 more.

Thanks webby!
I’m an installer for a pretty big BK dealer. We have one on the show room floor. I don’t have one personally. I’ve only had an Ashford 30, King, and princess so far.

That’s the reason I ended up with a Jotul. It was literally in the middle of the room. No other manufacturer finishes all surfaces except Jotul and soapstone stoves.

Oh you got a Jotul. As I said, I love the looks of the F400.. but after all my research I came to the conclusion that I probably couldn't build fires that achieved a clean secondary burn, without overheating our room. The house is 910sqft but the stove room area is only half that...

Reactions: webby3650
Oh you got a Jotul. As I said, I love the looks of the F400.. but after all my research I came to the conclusion that I probably couldn't build fires that achieved a clean secondary burn, without overheating our room. The house is 910sqft but the stove room area is only half that...
You are correct. I’ve had a bunch of Jotuls. They are big heaters, once they get going, you will be sittin in the porch!

Thanks it does look awesome, had a few fires, sense the install last may, not much experience with it so far, but seems to run pretty much like the princess i have.

Thanks it does look awesome, had a few fires, sense the install last may, not much experience with it so far, but seems to run pretty much like the princess i have.

What do you think of the view from the side? Mine would be installed just like yours, but it seems like a corner install would hide the back of it better.

nice cast panels on the side. back doesn't count. either way the stove looks great

Cheers

You didn’t ask 20 vs. 30!

If there able to color them why not have colors! Like a vibrant blue, or red. Your paying up for any enamel, makes sense, more manufacturing steps. Brown, grey, black are the most requested colors? I'm hoping by the time I get a BK they will have a nice deep blue....or go nuts...yellow!!