Favorite Blaze King colour?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If there able to color them why not have colors! Like a vibrant blue, or red. Your paying up for any enamel, makes sense, more manufacturing steps. Brown, grey, black are the most requested colors? I'm hoping by the time I get a BK they will have a nice deep blue....or go nuts...yellow!!
If you want to get really wild, you just got to paint it yourself. I fixed my parents up with this one. Stove bright metallic copper.

Attachments

• 775194ED-8113-41A3-B990-E8DB70A50BA3.jpeg
    775194ED-8113-41A3-B990-E8DB70A50BA3.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 157
If I'm correct, the Ashford doesn't come in the dark brown enamel anymore. I would have gone with that, my predecessor Jotul was brown and it looked as good the day I sold it as the day I bought it

If I'm correct, the Ashford doesn't come in the dark brown enamel anymore. I would have gone with that, my predecessor Jotul was brown and it looked as good the day I sold it as the day I bought it
It is available in brown enamel.

I thought that color was discontinued. They told me white was available, but who wants a white wood stove. I guess I got some bad info from the dealer

The white hasn’t been available for a while. Brown enamel has been available since almost the start. There was some production problems for a short time that delayed production.

Nicest one I have seen was in blue-black enamel, but that was only at a show and didn't make it to the showroom floor.

Let me convince you. The A30 is less than 3'' wider and 2'' deeper than the A20, BUT the A30 sits 2''closer the the walls IF you decide to install the stove in a corner. In the end the A30's foot print is only a tiny bit bigger than the A20. On low, they have the same output, so you're not going to cook yourself out. Even on a flat wall the A30 only sticks out 1.75'' more than the 20. Plus the added convenience of the larger fire box...you can always build a small fire in a large stove but you can't build a large fire in a small stove!

Reactions: Highbeam
Greetings everyone,

This is my first time posting here, but I have spent months reading all of your experiences. By way of introduction, I puchased my great grandfather’s 20 acre homestead a couple years ago. We demolished the 100 year-old house :( and then moved a free house from kijiji onto a new ICF basement. It is a 910 square foot bungalow built in the 1950s. It is going to be a holliday spot for our family of six and then one day the mrs and i will retire out there (if she puts up with me that long). Having a wood burning stove is going to make this place perfect!

I have looked at, and eventually dismissed, a lot of amazing stoves because i was trying to find something that would allow an overnight burn, but also would not heat us out of this little house. The search eventually led me to Blaze King. I am very intrigued by the new Boxer 24, but in pictures it looks a little utilitarian (like a barbecue). While the Ashford 20 isn’t as pretty to my eye as something like a Jotul Castine in ivory, it looks good enough that I will be glad to have it in the room even when it’s not burning.

The problem is, none of the BK dealers around me actually have one in stock or on the showroom floor so I have never seen a BK in person :). Here in Alberta Canada I have the choice of two upgraded finshes over the regular cast black. I cant really tell from the photos, but many posts agree on how nice the brown enamel looks. The colonial pewter is cool because it’s something different, but I haven’t heard anyone’s experience with this finish.

If you were buying a new Ashford, what colour would you choose?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Chad

View attachment 229608

Purple.

Cast iron should be black. But thats like saying trucks should be red and tractors should be green. That coming from a guy with a black stove, a blue truck and orange tractors.;lol

Just listen to the wife......

If you want to get really wild, you just got to paint it yourself. I fixed my parents up with this one. Stove bright metallic copper.

VC product......at your parents house......it can’t be right......hahaha

VC product......at your parents house......it can’t be right......hahaha
I know.. I get them for free though. Sometimes they aren’t ready for the scrap yard just yet.

Nicest one I have seen was in blue-black enamel, but that was only at a show and didn't make it to the showroom floor.

Yup. We put off our A30 purchase almost two months waiting for the dark blue to be available. Ended up with chestnut brown after BK said the blue was not going to happen.

I followed the break-in procedure in the manual to the letter, the chestnut brown looks literally as good as new four years on. No faded hot spots over the cat, nothing, it looks great. I would wax it, but it doesn't need wax. Soft cloth, distilled water, maybe (ahem) a clay bar every couple years, beautiful.

FWIW my wife loves Mediterranean villas anytime we look at magazines at B-N. Our next stove will say BK on it, but hopefully in a fashion forward Med villa sort of color.

Does anyone know the reason why they don't offer other enamel colors? I can't see high temp paint really holding up. Somewhere along the manufacturing process they decided to enamel them, so brown won out?

Does anyone know the reason why they don't offer other enamel colors? I can't see high temp paint really holding up. Somewhere along the manufacturing process they decided to enamel them, so brown won out?
Majolica Brown is very popular. Some colors are hard to produce, red for instance. The panels come out all different shades of red. VC figured it out eventually. It’s a difficult process that’s makes the stove much more expensive. In order to produce it, they need to be sure the masses will actually buy it. It’s a tough market.

The stove paint used today holds up very well, and it can be touched up easily and made to look new again. Enamel, not so much. If taken care of well it can look great for the life of the stove, especially a jacketed stove like the Ashford.

Reactions: bholler
Thank you everyone for your suggestions but we ran into a snag with our plans. After I made a cardboard cutout of the Ashford 20, I realized that it was going to take up too much space in the room. The house is 900sqft on the main level and half of that is “open” space for heating, BUT the stove room is only 200sqft and that just didnt leave much room for a couple couches and the BK :(.

I cant get a Woodstock stove here, and I wasnt interested in VC, so my plan for a cat stove has fallen apart. The other option was a smaller non-cat, and my local dealer offered me a Jotul f100 for a price that I could not refuse! I have had to wrap my mind around the idea of loading wood every four hours instead of 20! But i am excited to at least have a stove. I will start a new thread about my purchase.

Thanks all,
Chad

The Ashford is what 8” deeper than an F-100, and not much wider. The space is really that tight? Did you see the Jotul in person?

The Ashford is what 8” deeper than an F-100, and not much wider. The space is really that tight? Did you see the Jotul in person?

I havent seen either in person yet so i was just going off of my cardboard templates. It is quite tight in the room (depth at least, the width is not a problem). I understand the f100 is tiny and i am bracing myself for that...
I am already thinking that i may be able to put a larger stove in the basement some day.

Have you considered Morsø stoves? Their 1410 is a small but serious heater, and has an even smaller footprint than the Jotul. The squirrel on the sides usually delights the Lady of the house, as a bonus.

Reactions: Cringer
Have you considered Morsø stoves? Their 1410 is a small but serious heater, and has an even smaller footprint than the Jotul. The squirrel on the sides usually delights the Lady of the house, as a bonus.

We both really like the morso squirrel! (And my wifes father is from Denmark) But it requires even shorter splits, and the price was quite a bit more than what I am being charged for the Jotul.

There will be a world of heating difference between the F100 (or Morso) and the Ashford 20. In the end that may be what matters most.

Reactions: Cringer