Favorite Species of wood to burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Favorite Species of wood to burn.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg123

Jul 21, 2006
WNY
Just curious as to what your favorite species of wood to burn is and why. Allot will have to do with what is available in your area. In my are area there is abundant supply of Maple, Oak, and Ash I would have to say ash is my favorite so far, because I like the excellent coaling qualities, although it doesn’t burn as long as or as hot as the Oak does.

I love burning oak, but ooooooh that hickory and hedge (osage) are the real deal to long burning, high btu fire woods. ;-)

i feel sorry for ya msg.........nothing to burn but pine:(
i'm with jags on the osage orange and the oak but i've never burned any hickory.

bruce56bb said:
i feel sorry for ya msg.........nothing to burn but pine:(
i'm with jags on the osage orange and the oak but i've never burned any hickory.

Its not to bad, at least there is very little ash. I burn the same amount of wood as you hardwoood people. But i wish i had some osage!

For anyone that has never had the chance to burn hickory, here is the closest I can come to describing it. Take good seasoned oak for its friendly burning nature and ability to produce long, hot heat. Now mix it with osage (Black locust is also very good) for its coal like burning properies, and BAM-O - you got hickory.

Apple, when available.... I don't have any in my yard. Then probably Maple, Oak and Birch. Unfortunately, must of what I cut this year was Cherry.

I like Oak as a good all round type of wood to burn. But I LOVE burning Hickery most of all. To me it burns like coal being it puts out allot of heat (though I have never burn coal). Then there's apple. Man that stuff puts out the heat BIG TIME! It's just hard for me to find.

-Mike

Does someone have a picture of osage....never heard of it up here in Vermont...wondering if it is similar to what we call hardhack..Do you get it a health spa....ha ha ha.....cracking myself up today...

For you pine burners out there, dougless fir is far by the best, next would be spruce, and last would be ponderosa and logepole. At the altitude i live at, you would be very suprised at the density of it, Doug fir almost weighs as much as oak. Stuff grows very slow up where i live.

MountainStoveGuy said:
For you pine burners out there, dougless fir is far by the best, next would be spruce, and last would be ponderosa and logepole. At the altitude i live at, you would be very suprised at the density of it, Doug fir almost weighs as much as oak. Stuff grows very slow up where i live.

MSG – Do you find burning pine requires more frequent cleaning of the chimney and stove parts? I always though pine would cause more creosote ect.

This is 3 cords worth.....

Attachments

• Cresote.jpg
    Cresote.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,029
My favorite bar none is Beech. Clean hot burn, dries fast, good coals, paper thin bark and for some reason seems to resist decomposing with age.

If I got to design a tree it would be just like a beech. Of course red and white oak are the predominate trees around here so they are most of what I burn. They actually deserve their own catagories in the poll, they are so different.

And there is always a cord or two of pine fed through each year. If I had a soapstone stove like MSG's I would probably do like him and burn the pine flat out and then enjoy the carryover heat from the stone.

bruce56bb said:
Vintage 181 said:
Does someone have a picture of osage....never heard of it up here in Vermont...wondering if it is similar to what we call hardhack..Do you get it a health spa....ha ha ha.....cracking myself up today...

here ya go 181.
http://www.osageorange.com/Osage_Orange_P.html

Thanks Bruce...learned a new tree today.

You guys are rugged to be cutting that stuff..must be worth the prize...not what we call hardhack...the fruit on that Osage gets pretty big..

Right with ya MSG. I Just got our stove and have not begun to burn yet. but I will be burning exclusivly what is available...Spuce, Hemlock, and alder. Not sure which of the 3 Ill like the best yet.
at least they seem to dry fast

Ash might not be the hottest or longest lasting, but it sure is nice to cut and split. All of mine is very staight and tall with few side branches. Absolute worst I've dealt with is spruce.

Well I'll be darned. I grew up with Osage Orange all around me down in Texas and never heard that name until the Forum. We used the other name for them, Bodark.

If i had something else to burn, i probably would. But i have learned to like pine. It lights fast, burns hot, produces very little creosote, and most importantly, i dont have a choice. $300 a cord for oak is a little out of my price range. Whats intresting, is a burn the same volume of fuel as most the other members here.

Hedge, Osage, and Iron wood are all common names for the stuff in my neck of the woods (northern Illinois)

The pine here is really dense too. Lodgepole and Ponderosa. We have trees cut down that are 100+ years old and 8-12 inches at the base.

Shane said:
The pine here is really dense too. Lodgepole and Ponderosa. We have trees cut down that are 100+ years old and 8-12 inches at the base.

Im burning some ponderosa this year that had a 28 inch base, imagine how dense and old that is growing at 9000'! My maul bounces off of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.