Your Favorite Part of Wood Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Because for some hard work and planning I get a better heat in the house, which my wife likes.
Also feeling more self-reliant and working with nature.
As a bonus- we have electric baseboard heat. Just saw on the news that the electric company is looking to raise supply price……..by x2!

Eversource CEO makes 4.7 million salary and they want a 43% rate increase. It's ridiculous.
Have you shopped your rate on the market? I was always scared to do that, but about a year ago I locked in with Constellation at 9 cents per kWh for 36 months. Eversource is already over 12. I still get hit with the Eversource rate on the “delivery/supply” portion of my bill, but it definitely helps.

Have you shopped your rate on the market? I was always scared to do that, but about a year ago I locked in with Constellation at 9 cents per kWh for 36 months. Eversource is already over 12. I still get hit with the Eversource rate on the “delivery/supply” portion of my bill, but it definitely helps.
I'm in a UI area. Unfortunately all the other suppliers are more expensive, not cheaper. I'm stuck with the increase. If I thought I was staying in my house long term, I'd put solar on the house. The math just still doesn't work spending 13K to offset a $117/mo bill.

Reactions: tabner
Good call, I actually have the same rate with that company for another 2 years.

Reactions: tabner
hmm....this is a hard question....I could go on for hours! LOL!
My #1 favorite is sitting in front of the fire, enjoying the flames and working on a project.
Our logsplitter is a close second...hubby and I both have compromised shoulder joints so I
invested in a splitter. That bugger is FUN! I only wish I'd gotten one that's easier to start
because I can't do that part myself.

I can say with out a doubt.. I love everything about it. No energy bill, the smell of wood burning, playing with my equipment and saws, looking at all the stacked wood, the quality of the heat, sitting by the stove with family or just enjoying it by myself, the time spent in the woods with my kid is priceless.. I'll never have that again once he moves and becomes his own man.. splitting is therapy.. The SATISFACTION of the independence from utility companies, that I can do this on my own.. That I am not alone in how I think and do things, that most my neighbors are the same way and so are the people who read this

I only wish I'd gotten one that's easier to start
because I can't do that part myself.
They’re all hard to start, due to the direct drive hydro pump, but ones with bigger pumps are obviously hardest. You can run a lower viscosity hydro fluid, particularly if you’re only using it in cooler weather, and that should help.

You could also convert it to electric start, as I did with mine a few years back. See if there’s a variant of your engine with electric start option, and either buy the parts required to convert, or just swap engines. If there’s no variant of your engine with electric start, then find a replacement that will fit, based on HP, exhaust location, shaft orientation. Make an electric cord set that allows you to plug it into your tractor for starting, if you want to avoid having to mount a battery on it. I made my cord set out of some cheap jumper cables, cutting off the clamps and replacing with forklift batter connectors (50A).

I did this a few years ago, and thank myself every January, when that big pump is full of cold fluid. I only use the electric for the initial cold start, it’s much easier to pull after warming up.

Reactions: ispinwool
Everything. I enjoy each stage of the process from cutting, splitting, stacking to burning for what they are worth. Nothing like a snowy day being outside cold and coming into tend the fire and warm up. Now that's doesn't mean I'm always enthusiastic to haul wood around or tired and sore but I enjoy all of it. I think in a world where self reliance is shrinking fast there's a great sense of pride that your hard work keeps you warm on cold days.

Any and all aspects of it. I love the feeling of accomplishment and security when I stand back and look at all the well stacked, properly dried wood that is going to ensure our comfort in the winter.

I try not to look smug when everyone at work is complaining all winter about high electricity and fuel costs :)

For everyone who enjoys every aspect of burning wood, could I entice you to come over and enjoy dusting and vacuuming my living room a couple times a week?
LOL. Our wood cook stove is in the kitchen and the windows face south so a lot of sun comes in the windows. Some days I vacuum that room 2x a day!

Reactions: ispinwool and clux
They’re all hard to start, due to the direct drive hydro pump, but ones with bigger pumps are obviously hardest. You can run a lower viscosity hydro fluid, particularly if you’re only using it in cooler weather, and that should help.

You could also convert it to electric start, as I did with mine a few years back. See if there’s a variant of your engine with electric start option, and either buy the parts required to convert, or just swap engines. If there’s no variant of your engine with electric start, then find a replacement that will fit, based on HP, exhaust location, shaft orientation. Make an electric cord set that allows you to plug it into your tractor for starting, if you want to avoid having to mount a battery on it. I made my cord set out of some cheap jumper cables, cutting off the clamps and replacing with forklift batter connectors (50A).

I did this a few years ago, and thank myself every January, when that big pump is full of cold fluid. I only use the electric for the initial cold start, it’s much easier to pull after warming up.
I had NO idea something like this was even possible!
Thanks!

I just did a post on this in the gear forum.. big difference...

Reactions: Ashful
Sorry to repost, but I LOVE stiffing the big oil companies. We DONT need them, and it makes them mad. Oh well, where I live wood is in your backyard, on the mountain, downriver, where ever you gotta go get it. They charge like 20 bucks a year to get a firewood permit to get wood out of the state forests. I havent done that yet, but its on the horizon. Anyways. wood burning has made this Country, and it will keep it going!

I can say with out a doubt.. I love everything about it. No energy bill, the smell of wood burning, playing with my equipment and saws, looking at all the stacked wood, the quality of the heat, sitting by the stove with family or just enjoying it by myself, the time spent in the woods with my kid is priceless.. I'll never have that again once he moves and becomes his own man.. splitting is therapy.. The SATISFACTION of the independence from utility companies, that I can do this on my own.. That I am not alone in how I think and do things, that most my neighbors are the same way and so are the people who read this
Spot on. I agree with everything except I’ll substitute “the dog” for “ “my kid”. Lol

Excellent thread, Coemgen! I think my favorite parts are:

1. Having an excuse to be outside in winter, for which my wife can't accuse me of "going out and having fun" while she is stuck indoors dealing with kids and cleaning.

2. Collapsing on the couch in front of one of our stoves at the end of a long day outside working, preferably with a glass of bourbon nearby.

3. Tallying how much we saved on oil this year.

But here's another twist, what I miss about burning in a modern appliance:

1. That wood smoke smell when I pull up the driveway. The modern stoves emit so little that the wind has to be just right to catch anything.

2. The sound and smell of an open fireplace. Wood stoves are a very poor substitute for the ambiance of an open fireplace.

3. The look of smoke trailing from a chimney.

So this piqued my curiosity. Having watched my wife go thru about 18 hours of labor with no drugs, despite the fact that I can haul more wood and move more snow than her, I know she's tougher than I'll ever be.
Second everything above. Also like to enjoy a cold beverage while I look at the full sheds and say "yep".

My favorite part is sitting in the living room with my wife, daughter and the do, sipping a whiskey cocktail after a day of skiing or officiating. We get the best of the season; taking advantage of the snow and the warmth of family and the hearth.

My favorite part is warming up by the stove when coming in from the outside bone-chilled cold and wet. That and I do love the view of the fire.

I primarily enjoy the smell, err...aroma of burning wood. Maintaining the fire is another pleasure, during a cold day right after doing something outside, like clearing the driveway. Hearing the crackle of a fire, though damped by the closed door of the stove, is always a pleasure. It's an escape. Drolet got the name right!

I need to update my answer. Earlier I said the best part was watching the stove burn. Yesterday I split some freshly scrounged Oak and did get a very good sense of satisfaction out of it, not to mention the wonderful smell of what I believe to be oak, but who the hell knows. I'm bad at ID and these logs had no bark left.
wood.jpg

I’m not a crazy prepper, but I have tendencies I hold back. I mean these days, who needs to be able to start a fire with a bow drill? I like to cook on a stove, feel security for having heat, food and water if needed. But I like to feel the satisfaction of a hard days work processing wood and of being prepared for winter with plenty of dry wood and a warm house if the ice takes out the power lines.
Although I’m a year behind, I’m two years ahead, come next year. I kinda got lazy two years ago.

Reactions: Northern NH Mike
I’m not a crazy prepper, but I have tendencies I hold back. I like to cook on a stove, feel security for having heat, food and water if needed. But I like to feel the satisfaction of a hard days work processing wood and of being prepared for winter with plenty of dry wood and a warm house if the ice takes out the power lines.
Although I’m a year behind, I’m two years ahead, come next year. I kinda got lazy two years ago.
I'm in the same boat, but only because I thought I would be moving by now. I let the pile run low and all I've been scoring is Oak, so still running low on seasoned wood for this year.

Reactions: 30WCF
Honestly I like staying warm and I am too cheap to do it any other way. Every other part of it is a chore. Not that I mind any of it but I wouldn't say I liked it either.

Oh I do like learning a new stove . I swap out often. I have a pacific energy I am trying to work a deal on for my next one. We will see.

Oh I do like learning a new stove . I swap out often.
I liked that part too in my younger days. Age and access have me simplifying now.
I have a pacific energy I am trying to work a deal on for my next one. We will see.
Do tell, is it a Summit?